Making History: The Second World War Hits Early Access

Started by Grim.Reaper, October 14, 2017, 05:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Just saw the new version of the game has come out for early access for $29.99.  At the moment not that eager to jump in at that price level, but will be interesting to see what ends up being better/new then all the previous versions of it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/462940/Making_History_The_Second_World_War/

Micha

Ian C

It has all the bells & whistles of The Great War and the deep social/economic/diplomatic features.

acctingman

Is this game a less complicated version of HoI 4?  :D

Rayfer

Quote from: acctingman on October 17, 2017, 08:30:18 AM
Is this game a less complicated version of HoI 4?  :D

Not sure about this new one they are working on but past iterations were in some ways like and yet unlike HoI4. The Making History games have their complexities in that you manage trade, diplomacy, economy, research, armies, etc. but it's all done turn-based with one week turns whereas HoI4 is pause-able real time.

bbmike

Quote from: Ian C on October 17, 2017, 05:24:40 AM
It has all the bells & whistles of The Great War and the deep social/economic/diplomatic features.

How is the diplomacy? Is it as wonky as Civ or does it actually have use/meaning?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FlickJax

Really enjoyed the first one in series have been disappointed ever since; hopefully they get it right this game.

Interested on hearing reviews.

Ian C

Quote from: bbmike on October 17, 2017, 09:33:35 AM
How is the diplomacy? Is it as wonky as Civ or does it actually have use/meaning?

In the game and also The Great War (its predecessor) Diplomacy is more advanced than Civ or Hearts of Iron. It works in more formal and realistic way. Spheres of Influence come into play which means that if you start expanding or conducting military ops in certain areas or regions of the world, those powers with a stake or influence in those regions get antsy and may go to war. In The Great War I tried expanding China and the Brits and French didn't like it at all.

The closest game technically to it is The Great War. I'd suggest downloading its demo and browse through every function on it.

(Full disclosure: I supplied content for previous Making History games as a freelancer. I don't receive any gain from sales. These are my own personal opinions and posts.)

Rayfer

This thread got me interested again in Making History II so I fired it up and started a game. I then remembered my one big complaint about it: the research process.  It is slow and tedious, forcing you to build numerous universities and then after that, in those same cities, build military, air, naval and chemical academies. In theory it makes sense but in game play research progresses at a snails pace. I often wondered if I was doing it wrong or missing something?  I wonder if they will re-think the research process in this newer iteration?

airboy

I disliked the first one and would mail the disk to anyone in the USA gratis.  The key to having a powerful economy was, wait for it, developing farmland!

Glad others enjoyed it, but I found it to be a laughable economic system.