Napoleonic FPS 9 days from steam early access - Holdfast Nations at War

Started by Destraex, September 12, 2017, 04:57:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Meh.

Being forced to stand in a line, and fire when told, may be more historically romantic for some, but I don't think it's enjoyable as a first-person shooter game. 

Having done different MP game modes in M&B Napoleonic, and some line behavior even during the skirmish matches, it's become quite obvious that I prefer the open skirmishing in this type of game.  It was some of the most fun I've ever had in an FPS, and provides a good supply of laughs at misfortune. 

There's no way I can foresee a change to being an individual, fighting a rigid line battle, could ever compare in enjoyment.

I've been planning to pick up Holdfast, after they've filled out more of the content.  They're still missing a lot of stuff M&B Napleonics has, such as cavalry.  I will play the MP shit out of this game, if it provides the same flavor.  Will become more wary if they start shoehorning rigid line battles into all of it.

If I wanted to participate in strict doctrine and routine, I'd dress up and go participate in re-enactments. 

Plus a 75vs75 player (at best) server doesn't exactly emulate grand Napoleonic era line battles, with thousands of troops per side, very well.  The player count is predisposed towards skirmishing on maps with small features such as a farmhouse complex.

jomni

Yeah Better to have bots form the line at your command like in M&B.

Destraex

Quote from: Nefaro on March 11, 2018, 02:45:24 PM
Meh.

Being forced to stand in a line, and fire when told, may be more historically romantic for some, but I don't think it's enjoyable as a first-person shooter game. 

Having done different MP game modes in M&B Napoleonic, and some line behavior even during the skirmish matches, it's become quite obvious that I prefer the open skirmishing in this type of game.  It was some of the most fun I've ever had in an FPS, and provides a good supply of laughs at misfortune. 

There's no way I can foresee a change to being an individual, fighting a rigid line battle, could ever compare in enjoyment.

I've been planning to pick up Holdfast, after they've filled out more of the content.  They're still missing a lot of stuff M&B Napleonics has, such as cavalry.  I will play the MP shit out of this game, if it provides the same flavor.  Will become more wary if they start shoehorning rigid line battles into all of it.

If I wanted to participate in strict doctrine and routine, I'd dress up and go participate in re-enactments. 

Plus a 75vs75 player (at best) server doesn't exactly emulate grand Napoleonic era line battles, with thousands of troops per side, very well.  The player count is predisposed towards skirmishing on maps with small features such as a farmhouse complex.

Nefaro I think that we are on the verge of having coop gaems that are vastly more enjoyable being played in large formations if they get the mechanics right. I understand that you do not want to feel like a pawn but want to feel special and like a superhero one man army. But that is not the Napoleonic experience. The key is going to be figuring out how to make each soldier feel like a ke an integral part of the whole and useful..... in fact screw this I cannot type here at the moment... its too slow.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Destraex on March 12, 2018, 04:00:55 AM
Meh.

Nefaro I think that we are on the verge of having coop gaems that are vastly more enjoyable being played in large formations if they get the mechanics right. I understand that you do not want to feel like a pawn but want to feel special and like a superhero one man army. But that is not the Napoleonic experience. The key is going to be figuring out how to make each soldier feel like a ke an integral part of the whole and useful..... in fact screw this I cannot type here at the moment... its too slow.

if your using chrome, they released an update that fixes slow typing issue.  go into chrome and then go to help - about screen to have it update.

Destraex

Strange that chrome would not update itslelf and strange that it only happens here.
Thx reaper. Seems to be working fine now.

Nefaro

Quote from: Destraex on March 12, 2018, 04:00:55 AM
Meh.

I freely admit that I don't want to be a pawn in a line battle emulating the 'Napoleonic Experience'. 

I hope they don't try to force that on everyone, and leave the option open for either type to be hosted on servers.

Destraex

Holdfast now has cavalry. Very nice. Only 3-6 per side though on the maps I looked at.
No longer any Australian servers either it seems.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 18, 2019, 05:57:17 PM
Still no single-player or bots, huh?  ???

I agree like, same with war of rights and squad.  I'd love to have bots to practice the game mechanics before jumping into the mp and not having a clue what to do.

Destraex

I don't have a problem with needing ai for practise purposes. This is a relatively simple shoot em up to me and their are practice levels. But I would like ai to populate servers.

Destraex

Had a quick go last night and really enjoyed just pottering around. I enjoy the cavalry although it seems to be fairly hard to use.
I apologise for the antlers on the horses and the snowballs as cannon balls. I don't know who thought this was a good idea to spoil christmas for those that get quality time with this game at this time.

See the top left of the first screenshot. Those symbols mean I am getting bonus's from the flag bearer and musician I think.

Destraex

Sheez I am impressed by how far this game has come. They had an all time record of over 2000 players last night. I was one of them.
Have not played in a very long time, so the game was nice and fresh.

Things that impressed me:
- You get XP for fighting in a line. Your officer can give an order which puts a line on the ground for you to stand and fight at.
- Line infantry get bonuses for fighting in a line. A little health buff at distance as well as an accuracy buff I think. I like this because when the game is played with people who are like minded, there is at least a chance of co-operation.
- Officers can now drop spawn points that allow a finite number of players to spawn from them. Stopping the endless run from the rear to the front.
- There is now a regimental registry that shows regimental icons above players heads in game. In the main menu this registry shows the regiments ranking
- Melee mode kicks in automatically if you do not reload after firing. Good if you have just fired and know that feeling of panic mashing the keys to change to melee mode. Now instead you can simply fight naturally after firing. I am curious though, now that you can detach the bayonet and put it away for more accurate firing, to see what happens in melee mode without a bayonet.
- The number of 150 player servers full last night was impressive. The player base at the moment for a niche game is fairly impressive.

A clan\regimental tag above this blokes head;

The low down on one of the infantry line perks