Game suggestions?

Started by oldguy, August 19, 2017, 07:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Quote from: Rayfer on August 19, 2017, 02:08:44 PM
Quote from: mirth on August 19, 2017, 12:15:08 PM
Technically it may be tactical, but I think it stretches into the operational level as well.

'Operational level' as a military term is a bit tricky to pin down

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_level_of_war

Thanks mirth.  The link is a good one, makes more sense.

Yeah, I  wouldn't call Flashpoint Campaigns operational, more like Grand Tactical... nick picky but in the single scenario's your not so worried about supplies and such that make an game operational.
The campaigns are closer to operational as you have to manage reinforcements etc.

Great game though. OJsDad and I spent all last winter bashing our way through all the scenarios. Well balanced and lots of fun.

mikeck

As an AGEOD fanboi, I would say that their games meet all of your criteria:
1. Thirty Years War
2. Rise of Prussia (my favorite)
3. Revolution Under Seige
4. Wars in America
If you wait for a few months "wars of secession "will be out of beta and it is fantastic
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tuna

Quote from: mikeck on August 21, 2017, 03:26:00 PM
As an AGEOD fanboi, I would say that their games meet all of your criteria:
1. Thirty Years War
2. Rise of Prussia (my favorite)
3. Revolution Under Seige
4. Wars in America
If you wait for a few months "wars of secession "will be out of beta and it is fantastic

Be forewarned though, some people struggle getting 'into' this engine. Not sure if they have any games that has a demo, but you might want to try that first. I enjoy the engine, but it is definitely able to function better with smaller amounts of units. That is why the games mentioned above are pretty good. Other games like Civil War and Napoleon that have a lot of units,  I guess have issues (though I have yet to play the ACW 2 so can't comment truthfully on that one yet - enjoyed ACW I), this reputation has kept me from grabbing Napoleon, even though I was tempted.  :crazy2:

MetalDog

I am one of those that has a difficult time getting into AGEOD games.  I love the maps and the setup.  It's just the granularity and the reasoning behind why things happen that I don't get.  It is frustrating.  I will say that if it clicks with you, then, then you will have a great time.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Capn Darwin

If it helps, Red Storm will be on sale the 1st of September.  <:-)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Barthheart

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 AM

How about Southern Storm?  ;)

OJsDad

Quote from: Barthheart on August 22, 2017, 09:23:00 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 22, 2017, 09:21:56 AM

How about Southern Storm?  ;)

Is Southern Storm anything like;

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.