Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game 30th Anniversary Edition

Started by mirth, August 16, 2017, 05:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

I have the new d20 version. Wouldn't this be a step back? I wonder how it compares.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

It would was a good system back in the day. Not sure how it would compare to the new system. Certainly it would be limited in that it's only two books. The source book was excellent though and it originated many things that are now accepted as SW canon.

I don't own any of the new SW RPG stuff. I may pick up this reissue if the cost is reasonable. I'm still kicking myself for letting go of the originals back in the 90s.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Nefaro

So... $60 for the pair, in a slipcase.  That's pre-order price, not sure if it goes up after release.

Hrmm.  Nostalgia says yes.  But not sure...

Quote from: bbmike on August 16, 2017, 05:58:38 PM
I have the new d20 version. Wouldn't this be a step back? I wonder how it compares.

Depends on whether you think the d20 system is fine for your Star Wars escapades.  Or whichever version you have.

The old WEG d6 version was pretty slick for it's time.  But I'm not sure how much, or if, I'd end up using it nowadays.  It's a fairly easy system, more so than the others, so it has that going for it. 

Plus I prefer a dice pool core mechanic over single die rolls, so the d20 system is lowest on my SW RPG list.  Maybe I should try to sell my d20 version, since I have the latest FFG hotness, but I don't think the old d20 ports are worth a whole lot (being so damn prevalent back then).

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on August 16, 2017, 06:07:14 PM
So... $60 for the pair, in a slipcase.  That's pre-order price, not sure if it goes up after release.

Hrmm.  Nostalgia says yes.  But not sure...

Heh. I missed the price. Tempting. I doubt I'll pre-order, but I have a feeling I'll pick it up eventually.

bbmike

I'm not sold on the d20 stuff. Star Trek went that way in the latest version. My initial impression is that for both Star Trek and Star Wars the d20 rules are just about one step removed from using no dice. I do like my RPGs a little more crunchy*.

*God, I'm really starting to hate the word crunchy when referring to RPGs.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Still got my originals for the d6 system.  1st ed rulebook, 2nd ed rulebook, 1st ed sourcebook, 1st ed Imperial sourcebook, screen, GM guide, and 7-8 modules.  Anyone wanna make an offer?   :))

bbmike

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Dye your hair green and throw on the silver lamé bikini and go-go boots and we've got a deal!

mirth

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on August 16, 2017, 06:11:22 PM
I'm not sold on the d20 stuff. Star Trek went that way in the latest version. My initial impression is that for both Star Trek and Star Wars the d20 rules are just about one step removed from using no dice. I do like my RPGs a little more crunchy*.

*God, I'm really starting to hate the word crunchy when referring to RPGs.  :P

The 2d20 system is different than the d20 system. 

The latter is what D&D the older 3/3.5 and Pathfinder uses.  Which you probably knew.  2d20 is quite different, though.

jamus34

I actually have the original book. It's a little beat up though. Might be worth some coin, who knows.
Insert witty comment here.

jamus34

Actually better condition than I thought
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

Got an email today from Fantasy Flight Games that this is shipping soon.  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

I think I still have my books and sourcebooks from back in the day.