Silly Netflix

Started by Tpek, July 12, 2017, 11:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Netflix seem utterly insistent on being annoying.

On June 1st, after a long time, they finally decided to bring in the latest seasons of popular shows like The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, all the while making them available
for viewing outside the U.S.
(Up until then, in Israel we only had the first 4 seasons of Arrow, and when I visited London recently even that was missing there)

Except they "forgot" all about Season 5 of Arrow.
And the thing is, that the whole season of all the shows converge into a massive crossover midway, thus making it impossible to watch the shows they did bring (without Arrow season 5),
and not miss a lot of stuff that goes on.

I tried contacting them several times about it, hoping they'd at least give me an ETA for season 5, and each time was simply answered that Netflix is having difficulties with obtaining the license
for that season from CW (which is weird considering all the massive coverage of their latest exclusive deal with them).

And then they decided to make matters worse by instead keep adding utter crap on a daily basis.
They've been pushing crappy shows and movies down the throat, from "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" to lame Stand-Up "Comedians" like Amy Schwarma, Ansis Anzizi and whatever.
And best of all, a new "Documentary" about "Alien Abductions" called Extraordinary, that pretty much features a retarded redneck conman making a really bad attempt at
misleading people he's special (in a good way), this includes things like using a laser pointer for an "Alien Encounter" (and even note how "strange" the cats started behaving towards the floating
red dot).

Can't Netflix just pull themselves together and bring Arrow season 5 instead of all that crap no one cares about???

And if they suddenly decided that their focus should be Bollywood movies, why not, at least, bring the good/funny ones (like Krrish)???

>:(

Nefaro

Wouldn't be surprised if some of your issues were with the all too commonplace regional locking.

I've done a search for some movies on Netflix, in the past, which told me they were only available on Netflix's streaming service in some European countries.  *sigh* 

Despite some old practices needing to be killed off, such as that, I'm still happy we have streaming options to better pick & choose what we want to see.  Although I still see room for expansion on Netflix, and the like.  They definitely shotgun some junk out there, while likely opting out of some good ones.

Tpek

It's really weird.

Were it a region-locking, then I wouldn't have had access to any of the new seasons.
Adding to that their several official responses that they had trouble acquiring the license rather than it being region-bound.

I keep wondering if Netflix is suffering from a severe case of "the left hand doesn't know what the right hand does",
The various people in charge of their operations have no idea what's going on and they end up with a mess.

JasonPratt

For what it's worth, the crossover connections with Supergirl (there are two, one being for all four shows midseason, the other only for the Flash pretty late), are absolute nothing burgers. I mean on her show: her plot plots along all episode and then in the last 30 seconds the connection plot drops out of plot nowhere, almost literally the case for the Flash crossover.

The Arrow part of the 4-part is admittedly important, even though the crossover ends on LegoTom.

However, as far as I recall nothing happens in any of the crossover eps that makes any difference to any of their ongoing plots (unlike last year). I think Arrow jokingly calls back to the alien invasion a couple of times late in the series, simply as an ironic reference to compare with what they're dealing with now.

Arrow Season 5 is good, if rather lower key (but more personal) than previous seasons. But nothing happens in it that affects the other three shows.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tpek

Yeah but for someone like me with ODC,
it's just plain insufferable to skip episodes or content.

The TV shows crossovers inevitably draw their inspirations from the comics idea of crossover events,
that are meant to get people into purchasing other comic magazines/serieses they weren't previously interested in.

Sir Slash

I'm close to finishing Season 2 of Daredevil and loving it.  :clap:   Does anyone know if the other Marvel Netflix shows are any good?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

A friend's husband likes to call Jessica Jones "Trigger Warning: the Musical".

I haven't caught up on the other three shows yet, but take that for what it's worth I guess?  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tpek

They're nice,
The Jessica Jones is pretty good and the Luke Cage one even better.

Iron Fist is meh, but then again, it's not like Daredevil is really any good.

JasonPratt

They all suffer from being dragged out to a full 13 ep season. Why that should be a problem in plotting, I have no idea, but it's consistent.

BanzaiCat

I thought it was silly that Netflix had 'Designated Survivor' on over in the UK, but didn't have it on here in the States.

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 13, 2017, 06:30:34 AM
They all suffer from being dragged out to a full 13 ep season. Why that should be a problem in plotting, I have no idea, but it's consistent.

It's a good question. You'd think shorter seasons would make it easier for the writers. I'm not sure what they'd do if they had to fill out the 20-plus episode seasons that once were the norm.  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 12, 2017, 12:09:59 PM
I'm close to finishing Season 2 of Daredevil and loving it.  :clap:   Does anyone know if the other Marvel Netflix shows are any good?

The Daredevil series is the best of the Netflix-Marvel ones thus far, IMO.

The others are varying degrees of alright.  Often with both good bits & not-so-good ones. 

Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were okay, in their own ways.  I thought they both ran on a few too many episodes.  Enjoyed Jones' story more than Cage, however.  JJ just had a more interesting story, whereas LC's storyline was rather 'meh' - Cottonmouth was it's best character/actor.

I wanted Iron Fist to be good, but Netflix didn't do it justice.  The whole first season was a long drawn-out origin story, of which we've already seen far too many, and it never even really got that all done.  Dwelled too much & too long on that.  The writing of the main character was shallow, and I didn't like some of the actor's delivery either.  Once again, like Luke Cage, the best parts were the supporting cast/characters.  I enjoyed all three of the Meachum family characters, and their often wishy-washy cutthroat self interests kept Iron Fist interesting.  Too bad the martial arts action wasn't all that impressive either.  Certainly wasn't as engrossing as some of the Daredevil scenes.  I read that they didn't do much training for IF, which is sad since it should've been even more of a focus than DD's.

Nevertheless, there is a lot worse to be seen on Netflix.  I enjoyed all of these enough to watch future seasons when they arrive.  Everyone is looking forward to their Defenders series, but I'm especially looking forward to their upcoming Punisher one.  Because Jon Bernthal fuckin rocked it in DD s2.  8)  I just hope the same writing quality continues from DD s2 for him.

Sir Slash

Yes, I'm rapidly becoming a 'Punisher Fan-Boy' and Electra can eat crackers in my bed any time she wants.  :D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tpek

Still no season 5 :(

Damn you Netflix!
God damn you Netflix to hell!!!
(old Lucy deserves to watch Netflix too you know)

Gusington

I noticed a lot of almost premium movies that were once a available for seemingly forever are suddenly gone :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd