Main Menu

Question for Jomni

Started by Philippe, June 23, 2017, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Have you played the EU IV Mandate of Heaven DLC and what do you think of it ?

I won't be getting it for the summer sale, but I'm trying to decide whether it makes sense to keep adding DLC's to EU IV in case I circle back for the December sale.

In theory I prefer Crusaders II, but I've not been happy with the direction the game seems to be evolving in.  I love the idea of a DLC about monks because I was once married to a medievalist specializing in pueri oblati and Bendectine monasticism (and yes, I did most of her translating).  But the un-medieval way Paradox handles things is starting to get hard to overlook and is putting me off.  I like some medieval/fantasy games (I'm a Schwarze Auge addict), but I insist on keeping fantasy and history in completely separate compartments.

I've given up on being able to re-enact the European exploration of the world in EU IV, but have been wondering if it works as a static geo-political simulator for earlier periods in history.  I'm a bit sceptical because the allergy-to-real-history crowd seems to be dominating game development over there.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

jomni

I have it but haven't played it. So no opinions yet.

I have mostly played Asian nations in EU IV and it can be quite fun. Except when the Europeans start invading. China would be a good start as it will not fall too soon (or will not fall ever). And quite easy to become a dominant force. As usual, results can very ahistorical. Mandate in theory would add more historical flavor to the region (HRE of the East) instead of generic.