Seven missing after USS Fitzgerald collides with merchant ship off Japan

Started by DoctorQuest, June 16, 2017, 07:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

OJsDad

The missing 7 have been found dead. They were in some of the areas that had been hit by the container ship.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Barthheart

mirth

Pretty awful. The Captain is lucky to be alive. His cabin was in the area that was struck and he had retired for the night.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/18/world/asia/navy-uss-fitzgerald-japan.html
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

jomni

I have a question. Why did it happen in the first place. Aren't there rules on navigating the sea lanes? Right if way protocol? Wouldn't a small ship avoid the bigger one?

Greybriar

There should be, jomni. But even if there aren't common sense should have told the destroyer captain to steer clear of the larger ship.

My favorite example of a similar situation is this: If I am approaching a traffic intersection and I have a green light but there is a tractor-trailer rig speeding towards the intersection too fast to stop for its red light, I am going to yield to it despite having the right of way. Refusing to yield to the larger vehicle because I had the right of way in my example and therefore being "right" would result in me becoming "dead right."
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

besilarius

During a transit of the English Channel at night, we counted nine fishing boats that turned into the east bound ship channel and nearly caused collisions. They rig bright lights to attract fish closer to the surface, and these made the running lights hard to decipher. Knowing the Channel was one of the most travelled, and most regulated, ship lanes in the world, Captain Boorda had the Special Sea and Anchor detail set from the start. Returning to Portsmouth, going west, during the day was a breeze. You can't see a sudden turn on radar, you need at least three marks to see a change in course. Most collisions happen at night (Melbourne-Evans, Belknap-JFK, Andrea Doria-Stockholm) because all you have visually are four lights to guage any changes in course or target angle. During daylight, you can see the entire hull and superstructure to see changes. At night can be very difficult, especially when the ships are close.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.