Main Menu

GOG Connect

Started by Greybriar, June 10, 2017, 03:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-budd-

Quote from: Greybriar on June 18, 2017, 11:17:29 AM
Quote from: -budd- on June 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: BC on June 10, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
On topic (I know, ha!), what's the point of bringing Steam games over into GOG Galaxy? Or GOG, period? I don't get it.

Basically just to have a DRM free version.

Yes, that's why I am considering taking the plunge with GOG Connect. But what I want to know is this: Are there are any hazards in linking my GOG account to my Steam account? I have Googled for an answer and haven't found anything yet. But since the change will be a permanent one, I don't wish to do something I will regret later.
All I can say is I've been linked up since the program started without issue. GOG  will have access to your library and let's just assume your profile also, I believe it's spelled out what they have access too if you connect.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Philippe

I would think that the fewer the people who have access to your Steam account, the more secure it will be.  And this would probably even be true even if GOG were more secure than Steam to begin with.

I always try to own and register Matrix/Slitherine games before I get the Steam version, just in case a catastrophe happens and I have to reconstruct my Steam library.

We're talking remote possibilities, but everything can get hacked these days.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and that's why I don't (and probably won't) use GOG Connect.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Surtur

I used it, a nice little extra. No issues found so far. Also bought plenty of games from them directly :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

Greybriar

Quote from: Philippe on June 18, 2017, 03:11:25 PM
I would think that the fewer the people who have access to your Steam account, the more secure it will be.  And this would probably even be true even if GOG were more secure than Steam to begin with.

I always try to own and register Matrix/Slitherine games before I get the Steam version, just in case a catastrophe happens and I have to reconstruct my Steam library.

We're talking remote possibilities, but everything can get hacked these days.

I'd rather err on the side of caution, and that's why I don't (and probably won't) use GOG Connect.

Thanks for the explanation. O0 I knew there was a risk involved but I didn't know it was hacking.

At this time, there is only one game on Steam (and I don't even play it!) that I could get on my GOG account by using GOG Connect. Since I have 200+ games on Steam and 500+ on GOG, I don't believe it would be worth the risk for me to link the two accounts.

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences with GOG Connect. :clap:
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

BanzaiCat

Isn't the only real threat in this regard, if you have payment information stored in either Steam or GOG?

Steam has some rather deep security you can partake of, but GOG not so much.

In either's case, I do not store payment information, just in case.