Congressman Shot and Others Shot

Started by Labbug, June 14, 2017, 07:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

As much as I disagreed with and disliked Obama I never would have wanted him to be shot. Same with some other congress people who I think are just plain asshats, I just want them to go home. These are our leaders whether you agree with them or not. No one should condone shooting them.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Steelgrave

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 14, 2017, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
By not laying blame at one group or another and by not calling each other out.

I'll clarify my original comment then by saying that if blame is to be laid anywhere other than the gunman, it should be on the increasing erosion of the middle and tribalism that is leading people on both sides to start to think that these kinds of responses are appropriate.

I really hope that if some good comes of this, it will be for reasonable people to step back and try to start disavowing violent action over disagreements, actively, rather than try to establish lines and goals where violence in support of politics is appropriate. 

Not trying to be political, my own personal politics are usually my own.   I just hear so much noise from both sides on this, daily, from friends and family that I have strong feelings when things like this happen. 

That's the last I will say on it.

A thoughtful response. Agreed.

trailrunner

I know where that happened.  About a week ago I had dinner a few blocks from the location of the shooting.  My daughter lives a mile or two away.  This morning and this evening I took the metro right by the field, and I was at work today 3 miles away, but had no clue that this had happened until I got home.

Gunman is dead, shot by the security detail that was with the representative.

bobarossa

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 14, 2017, 02:50:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2017, 02:41:10 PM
By not laying blame at one group or another and by not calling each other out.

I'll clarify my original comment then by saying that if blame is to be laid anywhere other than the gunman, it should be on the increasing erosion of the middle and tribalism that is leading people on both sides to start to think that these kinds of responses are appropriate.

I really hope that if some good comes of this, it will be for reasonable people to step back and try to start disavowing violent action over disagreements, actively, rather than try to establish lines and goals where violence in support of politics is appropriate. 

Not trying to be political, my own personal politics are usually my own.   I just hear so much noise from both sides on this, daily, from friends and family that I have strong feelings when things like this happen. 

That's the last I will say on it.

Just so you know, my comment was directed at Sir Slash's comment, not yours. 

And I agree that this kind of violence is due to the increasing amount of extremism in political views and actions.  It's bound to unleash some of the crazies.  As someone else pointed out, it's a good thing the nutjob was bad at hitting moving targets.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bobarossa on June 14, 2017, 05:42:15 PM

Just so you know, my comment was directed at Sir Slash's comment, not yours. 

And I agree that this kind of violence is due to the increasing amount of extremism in political views and actions.  It's bound to unleash some of the crazies.  As someone else pointed out, it's a good thing the nutjob was bad at hitting moving targets.

I didn't think it was directed at me.  I just didn't want to be responsible for starting to take things down a left vs right tack by having my original comment misconstrued.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

I will stand by my previous statement and also stand by that it should've been more diplomatic and posted in a more appropriate location. Still, a tragedy of the highest order. Thank God more people weren't injured. News reports indicate the only reason Capitol Police were there was the presence of the Majority Whip. Otherwise there would have been no protection at all.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

I don't think you have to apologize Sir Slash.  The facts.  An attempted mass political assassination of elected officials of one party.  One congressman is in critical condition and still fighting for his life.  Several aides and police shot and in critical to stable conditions.  The assassin posted and followed online groups and media that advocated for violence against Republicans, conservatives, and President Trump.  That's not pointing fingers.  Those are the facts as we know them to be right now.  It is a very classic case of terrorism.

Ubercat

How can a thread on a topic like this BE separated from politics? It's the root of the story.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

It doesn't have to be. But it can be separated from name-calling and abusive behavior towards each other here in this forum, which it has been for the most part so far.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Well, I guess this thread can be about following the developing facts of the story; and a RPF thread could be an analytical commentary of the data.  O:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

If you guys want this moved to R&P so you can take the gloves off I can do that.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Are those gloves supposed to be the thick, leather work gloves or the soft, pink chiffon type I prefer? I can never remember.  ???
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Bison

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2017, 06:22:00 PM
If you guys want this moved to R&P so you can take the gloves off I can do that.

Take the gloves off about what exactly?  Is the motive for terror not supposed to be discussed?  Anyway, I'm good with whatever happens with this thread.  I just find it odd that discussing the political motivation of an assassination attempt is seen as signaling out someone here.