NETFLIX Australia - Will their EVER be a video shop equivalent streaming service

Started by Destraex, June 11, 2017, 09:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I am a little peeved that shows I have on my list are being removed by netflix, why I don't know. Is it space? Surely not. Is it cost per month for streaming rights? I suspect so. Will Australia ever get it right. We need a freaking guttenburg project for film!!! What is the solution?

I liked my local video shop because:
- All films in one place. No need to subscribe to a gazillion streaming services
- I liked the feel and bustle of the popcorn and TVs in the corner. The excited peoples looking for a good film to watch. Excited about the prospect of bagging one to take home.
- Video stores rarely threw anything out. You could visit many years later to re-watch a film.
- We knew what new releases were coming many months in advance.
- The video store owns the DVDs forever. They have no ongoing costs apart from staff/bricks n mortar and buying new content. They could in fact like so many companies these days, just operate out of a freaking house and post the DVDs around. I guess this is where the video BOX idea comes from. However the video box idea is so freaking limited in terms of titles and blu rays especially.

The bad:
- The competition for new releases. Not really something that's a problem if you book.
- Only good video stores stocked rarer niche films. Easily fixed by purchasing these yourself though.
- Having to take the film back the next day, sometimes in the pouring rain.
- Late fees
- Video store costs could be significantly higher than $10 Netflix unless you subscribe to the majority of streaming services to get what you want when you want it. But with a video store you pay as you go. So you don't have to spend if you don't want

NETFLIX:
The Good:
- Streaming on demand. You never have to wait
- Some content that is niche and would not normally be seen in Australia
- $10 per month where a video store could cost $6 per new release every weekend if you got one a week.

The Bad:
- Very limited content due to rights issues.
- Titles are removed when they want according to mysterious rules. My question is; DOES NETFLIX pay per month or year for rights to stream shows. Unlike a video store it seems they do not OWN thier content to hire out at WILL?????????
- If you have bad internet speeds you are effectively excluded
- You do not get the NETFLIX service in Australia that you thought you were getting from America. You miss out on a lot of what Netflix America has. Yet the name is the same. Fair Trade my ass, we should be getting NETFLIX as it is in America, tear down the walls or don't do the other deals with wheat and other product where we lose by importing cheap overseas product.
- Less new titles than a video store, which got new releases x 5 or more every single week.
- NETFLIX has still not solved the old chestnut of Australians being forced to wait for years for TV show seasons. This was what people were excited about initially. Now I have noticed some TV series have stalled and while you watch the first season the second seems to take years. I have heard through several people that this is because of the local broadcasters like foxtel delaying things through legacy rights or new deals. What a mess. THE EXPANSE tv series being a good example of this.
http://anz.newonnetflix.info/lastchance
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jamus34

I understand the regional aspects can effect rights but in general Netflix only signs on shows / movies for a set period. So if a show leaves it's more likely than not the lease / broadcast rights have ended
Insert witty comment here.

Tpek