2017 Steam Summer Sale

Started by Greybriar, June 11, 2017, 06:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

I know Bob lives in the UK. My reference was in connection with the longest sniper shot in history made by the Canadian Special Forces soldier just recently and the patience needed to hit a target 2 miles away. Just like Bob. Waiting for his 'perfect shot' at the Steam Summer Sale. Sorry for the confusion.

I'd love to pick-up War in the East and all it's DLC but I don't think I will live long enough to play it. Bummer.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

Only game I'm interested in is Rimworld, but that one is not on sale.  I may pick up the latest OOTP, but I'm pretty content with the version I have so no real need to upgrade to a new version just yet.

-budd-

Quote from: Bison on June 24, 2017, 11:21:21 PM
Only game I'm interested in is Rimworld, but that one is not on sale.  I may pick up the latest OOTP, but I'm pretty content with the version I have so no real need to upgrade to a new version just yet.

Dev said Rimworld wont have any sales until full release. Been looking to pick that up also, the storytelling sounds interesting.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Bison

Well I guess I'll be waiting for a while unless I just decide to bite the bullet and pick it up.  It looks fantastic.

Ian C

W8taminute

Quote from: Ian C on June 25, 2017, 04:57:44 AM
Which one to go for?

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence - Ascension (http://store.steampowered.com/app/375450/NOBUNAGAS_AMBITION_Sphere_of_Influence__Ascension)

or

NOBUNAGA'S AMBITION: Sphere of Influence http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470/NOBUNAGAS_AMBITION_Sphere_of_Influence

Depends on what you enjoy more of doing.  Ascension features officer play in which you can start off as a no name officer in a daimyo's army of your choice.  You work your way up the ranks performing tasks and deeds in the hopes of someday being daimyo.

Sphere of Influence vanilla focus's just on empire building from the ruler's point of view.  No role playing as in Ascension.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Ian C

Quote from: W8taminute on June 25, 2017, 07:55:28 AM

Sphere of Influence vanilla focus's just on empire building from the ruler's point of view.  No role playing as in Ascension.

Thanks for the reply -but can you become a ruler and have the same game as in vanilla? same features etc?

JasonPratt

I gather that the basic features are the same, just expanded. You can start as the ruler like in vanilla, and play that way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, Steam has graciously decided to help me not buy a number of things in my basket by SIMPLY WIPING MY BASKET overnight. I wake up this morning check on what needs updating, check on what's on sale, don't notice my cart is empty, see an FTLish submarine game (Diluvian) on sale for $10, do some reminder-research of what it's about, check on the state of the game (bugs ironed out mostly), decide to add it to my cart, notice my cart is empty except for Diluvian.

:pullhair: :tickedoff:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

-budd-

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 26, 2017, 07:24:45 AM
Meanwhile, Steam has graciously decided to help me not buy a number of things in my basket by SIMPLY WIPING MY BASKET overnight. I wake up this morning check on what needs updating, check on what's on sale, don't notice my cart is empty, see an FTLish submarine game (Diluvian) on sale for $10, do some reminder-research of what it's about, check on the state of the game (bugs ironed out mostly), decide to add it to my cart, notice my cart is empty except for Diluvian.

:pullhair: :tickedoff:
Diluvian looks interesting, seen it before, dismissed it because the state it was in. No word on 1.2 release date it looks like. I'll have to see if there's any recent game vids . If you buy and play, impressions please.

W8taminute

Quote from: Ian C on June 26, 2017, 06:34:35 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on June 25, 2017, 07:55:28 AM

Thanks for the reply -but can you become a ruler and have the same game as in vanilla? same features etc?

You're welcome.  In the vanilla version you start off as the leader.  Can't get yourself promoted up from being a lowly officer.  You do however, as the ruler, have frequent quests that you must fulfill and if you do them you get extra gold and other rewards.  Some examples of the quests are; build a farm, conquer a city, recruit an enemy officer to your side, etc.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

^^ I have seen a lot of indications from Steam comments that the "quests" for leaders, as well as other high-level plot triggers, are often broken in Ascension.

Edited to add: I haven't been able to tell if the breakdowns occur even if you choose to start as a leader, or only if you start as a low-ranking commander. This could make a big difference in whether to start with SoL vanilla or not: Asc has number of other things for leaders to do, too, so nominally you'd have a choice about which to buy (less or more expensive) if you wanted to only play as a daimyo. But if the quest and plot triggers are broken at the daimyo level, then you're trading out stability for extra features...  :-\

Greybriar

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

-budd-

Nefaro

Quote from: -budd- on June 26, 2017, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on June 26, 2017, 11:46:10 AM
That's Diluvion, not Diluvian.

Tomato, tomoto......I blame Jason   ;D

;D

I tried typing in "diluvian" on Steam and it didn't show up. 

Had to use "submarine", and it was in the list.  Spelled with one different letter.  Nice search feature, Steam!  :knuppel2: