Rommel's War

Started by bob48, June 09, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Has anyone played this L2 Design game? It looks pretty good and has some decent reviews. I'm not sure if L2 are still trading, but there are a couple of copies available on BGG Store.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

L2 hasn't updated their site in about 4 years :(
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

No, you're right. Its very annoying.

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6f163/43465

Read a little further down and you'll find that it was a CABG

Lembit's home and recovering, but it's a slow process
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Thanks Brant - I must admit, I didn't see that. I looked at the game page on CSW but not the L2 one.

'Clip those corners'

Bison

I'm pretty sure L2 shut down shop about 5 years ago. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on June 09, 2017, 04:04:58 PM

WHAT?!!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

I just had a nice email back from Lembit, and he does still have copies of this game, and others, in his warehouse - so it seems the info on the L2 site is still valid. Unfortunately, the cost of shipping will likely kill it for me.

'Clip those corners'

Pinetree

If you do buy it, Slouch Hats and Eggshells from Legion (invasion of Lebanon) links into it.

Quote from: mirth on June 09, 2017, 04:10:24 PM

WHAT?!!
I seem to remember someone mentioning that L2 have stopped developing anymore games but still sell their old ones. One of the guys from L2, Dana Lombardy, has set up his own studio and is developing Streets of Stalingrad 4
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

bayonetbrant

it's not so much that they voluntarily shut down.  Lembit's been in poor health, and anyone having heart surgery needs a bit of recovery time.

bob48

Quote from: Pinetree on June 09, 2017, 06:37:31 PM
If you do buy it, Slouch Hats and Eggshells from Legion (invasion of Lebanon) links into it.

Quote from: mirth on June 09, 2017, 04:10:24 PM

WHAT?!!
I seem to remember someone mentioning that L2 have stopped developing anymore games but still sell their old ones. One of the guys from L2, Dana Lombardy, has set up his own studio and is developing Streets of Stalingrad 4

Yeah, I have been looking at that as I knew it shared the same basic system and could link with RW.

'Clip those corners'

Rekim

a couple of the more popular titles from the L2 catalog are about to be republished by different parties

Russia Besieged
http://www.compassgames.com/russia-besieged-deluxe-edition.html

The Russian Campaign
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-591-the-russian-campaign-designer-signature-edition.aspx

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Rekim on June 10, 2017, 05:52:27 AM
a couple of the more popular titles from the L2 catalog are about to be republished by different parties

Russia Besieged
http://www.compassgames.com/russia-besieged-deluxe-edition.html

The Russian Campaign
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-591-the-russian-campaign-designer-signature-edition.aspx

Compass games did a great job with their republish of L2's Bitter Woods, so I am looking forward to Russia Besieged.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.