DC area Grogs

Started by besilarius, June 01, 2017, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

It turns out that BBMike and myself live in the Washington, DC area.
Any other local Grogs?  We could have a mini con.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

CptHowdy

bayonetbrant

Smuckatelli is up there, too
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

trailrunner

besilarius

Well, that's really encouraging.  We should get together for some gaming, or just to share a beer.
Don't have a space for a gaming session, but we can work something out.  The northern Virginia group Potomac Wargamers (PWs) has a game about once a month, and there's a boardgame group that meets at the Silver Spring Tastee Diner on Friday nights.

Historicon is coming up in Fredericksburg, so there's always that.  Pm me if you have any suggestions or wishes.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bbmike

The closest FLGS to me is Labyrinth Games & Puzzles. They let you rent table space and more. It's also close to some great bars (and restaurants).

Any of you guys going to Origins?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Y'all also have Washingcon coming up in September

http://www.washingcon.com
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

pzgndr

Gaithersburg, MD

There is Congress of Gamers in Rockville.  See http://congressofgamers.org

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 02, 2017, 08:43:13 AM
Y'all also have Washingcon coming up in September

http://www.washingcon.com

And if y'all want to plan some sort of meet-up there, lemme know and I might even make the road trip.

besilarius

Historicon is happening this weekend in Fredericksburg.

http://www.hmgs.org/?page=HconHome

Can only get up on Saturday.  Anyone else going to make it? 

"With your eyes closed?"

bayonetbrant

I wish...  One of these days!

besilarius

The Washington Navy Yard list of August events.
They have one day on Civil War tech, which sounds interesting.

Also the last whiskey day in 1862.  The teatotalers won, when all those mint julep swilling southerners revolted.

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

NOVAG (Northern Virginia Gamers) list of games and events for September.
For more information, contact Tim Tilson,  hmslydia@msn.com

UPCOMING SPECIAL EVENTS/NEWS

9 Sep  National Capital Model Soldier Society Annual Show will be held at Edison HS  Franconia VA . For details see: https://www.ncmssclub.org/  NOVAG's own David Luff will be submitting figures in the wargames category.  So as he says "...touch up your battle damaged models and show up."

Barrage Con 2017. The HAWKS lost their venue for Barrage 2017 which was to have been in September.  Therefore Barrage Con 2017 will be held in January 2018 and Barrage 2018 will be held in September 2018.

Pins: McConnell has had some very nice 1" NOVAG pins made up.  He has donated them to the club and we will sell as a fund raiser.  They cost $3 a piece or 2 for $5. Contact John at: john.e.mcconnell@eds.com

NOVAG at Huzzah Hobbies:  Dave Luff has arranged for NOVAG to have a table at Huzzah Hobbies on Friday night following the Flames of War afternoon game.  If anyone want to run a game there, let David know at  dluff20164@yahoo.com

Phil Greg Painting Service.   This is a painting service in Sri Lanka.  They are celebrating their 15th anniversary and offering  a special discount.  Contact them at  pkwmpw@gmail.com or info@philgregpainters.com

President's Notes:  The Friday night group has met in a neighborhood pool house since the Game Parlor closed.  They have now changed the rules and we can only get the space two nights per month.  Consequently the other nights we will be at Huzzah Hobbies.  Please keep this email close or look on the website to see where we are each night.

MINIATURE GAMING

Herndon Area

DATE                PERIOD                SCALE                RULES                HOST

1 Sep             WWII                         15mm               Fireball Forward      Tilson

Scenario: Fire in the Night.  17 February 1945 Kanlan Ywathit Burma. The 14th/13 Field Force, 20th Indian division has crossed the Irrawaddy.  The Japanese 2nd Division is ordered to push them back across.  1/16th Infantry attacks.  They don't have armor or air, but they do have flame throwers.  Will the Indians hold?

The game on 1 September will be at Huzzah Hobbies 44927 George Washington Blvd, Ashburn, VA 20147

8 Sep            Ancients                      15mm              Might of Arms     DeWitt/Taylor

Scenario: Macedonians (DeWitt) vs Celts (Taylor)   

15 Sep             WWII              20mm              Fireball           Patton

Scenario:  Roxanne will run a scenario from her Beachead to Bavaria, the story of the 4th Armored Division.

15 Sep             Napoleonics     15mm                  NB              Taylor   

Scenario: To Be Determined

The games on 8 & 15 September will be at the pool club house at 1623 Hiddenbrook Dr. Herndon, VA  20170. Start time is 6:30 pm.

22 Sep              18th C                 15mm         Black Powder       Tilson

Scenario: Hohenfriedeburg. 4 June 1745.  An Austro-Saxon army is bearing down on Frederick.  However he turns and coutner attacks.  After defeating the Saxons, Frederick turns on the Austrians. 

29 Sep             Colonial          25mm              TS&TF (modified)     Jones

Scenario: Roy will be running a scenario from his upcoming book on the Revolts in Namibia in 1905 against Imperial Germany.

The games on 22 and 29 September will be at Huzzah Hobbies 44927 George Washington Blvd, Ashburn, VA 20147

Sterling Area – Fridays

Date: To Be Determined.   Hosted by David Luff. Start time 6:30 pm.  Modern Armor using Fist Full of TOWS. David will host this at his home and will scale the game according to participants.  RSVP mandatory   To play contact him at dluff20164@yahoo.com

Alexandria Area – Fridays

Date: To Be Determined.   Hosted by Dennis Wang 

Scenario:  To Be Determined.

For details, please contact Dennis at dw_2000@hotmail.com

RSVP mandatory so Dennis can scale the game accordingly.

Date: To Be Determined.   Hosted by Steve Robinson. 

For details, please contact Steve  at stevekrobinson@yahoo.com

RSVP mandatory so Steve can scale the game accordingly.

Dale City - Area

10 September  Sunday Hosted by Ron Prillaman

23 September Saturday Hosted by Ron Prillaman

For details, please contact Ron at ronalamo@comcast.net

Fairfax Area Weekends

Date: To Be Determined Hosted by Jason Weiser

Scenario: Rules used are Battlegroup Fall of the Reich.

Details: For further details Jason at jason.weiser@gmail.com

Eagle and Empire

The Eagle and Empire game schedule is now posted on their Facebook page.  Please consult that for information.

Hobby Works - Friday

Warhammer & Warhammer 40 are played in a tournament at the Hobbyworks store in the Fair City mall (Corner of Pickett & Main St in Fairfax City).  Start time is 4:00 p.m.  Contact Hobbyworks at 703-426-8600 or fairfax40@gmail.com.

Huzzah Hobbies -Tuesday

Malifaux,Warmachine/Hordes and Netrunner LCG Gaming starts at around 6pm

Huzzah Hobbies –Wednesday

Ancients/Medieval  with a variety of Rule Sets: Fields of Glory/DBM etc Starts at 5:00-600 pm.    Contact Mark Bumala at bumala@verizon.net

Huzzah Hobbies -Thursday

-Ancients/Medieval            15mm            DBA

Games start at 6:00 pmish.

-Thursday Night Gaming Group (TNGG).  For details contact Stephen Gibson sgibson260@cox.net) or see their Yahoo Group for details.

Huzzah Hobbies –Friday

Flames of War.  Start Time 1:00 pm.  Folks are invited to push lead and experience the game even if they don't have troops, we normally have loaners.  Specific games are generally not planned in advance as we do all periods and theatres.  For further info contact Jay Mischo at JMTrinity@aol.com.

DBA

The Washington Area DBA Group hosts occasional events.  For further info see: www.wdwww.wadbag for details.

Comics and Gaming Fairfax - Sunday

War Hammer at 12:30.

BOARDGAMING

Alexandria-Arlington Regional Gaming Group Saturday

30 September Charles E. Beatley, Jr. Central Library  5005 Duke St  Alexandria, VA 10:30 a.m. Euro Games etc.

Springfield/Franconia  Saturday/Sunday

9 September  Saturday  0830 Kingstown Game Brigade  Kingstowne Center for Active Adults (the Senior Center) 6448 Landsdowne Centre Alexandria VA 22315. (Next to the Kingstown Library)  Board/war gaming such as Axis & Allies, Hammer of the Scots, Sekigahara, GMT games, etc.  Others welcome. For further info contact Fred Bauer at   militarylaw@erols.com

17 September Sunday  Same as above. 

Western Fairfax County Friday 

The War and Strategy Gaming Group is a gaming group for young people ages 10 to 16.  They meet monthly at the Cascades Library  (21030 Whitfield Place, Potomac Falls/Sterling) on Sunday afternoons.  Please register to attend. To register, please call 703-444-3228 or register online: Go to http://library.loudoun.gov/ and search the "Events" section for "location" Cascades Library and "audience" Teens.

Loudon County Irregulars

The Dulles Wargaming Club meets irregularly in Loudon County.  Contact Ben Lacy at benlacy@brittonpublishers.com for further details.

Throughout the Area

Games Club of Virginia and Games Club of Maryland have good local club activities every week.  Further info see http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/ and for a calendar see:  http://www.gamesclubofmd.org/Calendar.asp

Advanced Squad Leader

The DC Conscripts host a monthly gaming session for ASL one Saturday per month, For further info sees: www.dcconscripts.org.

Especially Long Board Games

This board Game Group is just getting established.  They plan to play games that take longer.  See their site on Meet Up.

"With your eyes closed?"

The Bibliophile

Exciting to find some other local gamers. For more opportunities to meet other area gamers, consider attending our next Scrum on Feb. 29, 2020. Last February's Scrum Con was a big success, and this coming year we've moved to a location and expect it to be twice as large as before.