Gaming on a Laptop

Started by acctingman, May 10, 2017, 06:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Any of you guys games on a Laptop?

Getting a new Laptop this summer and I've never owned one. I've been gaming on PC's for ever, so...any do's and do not's regarding laptop specs?

Gracias!

Con

I am interested in this question as well.  I have to relocate out to California for a month and my company laptop is a no go zone for anything that is not work related.  So I am toying with trying to find a good sub $1000 laptop that will play most games OK.

Con

Greybriar

Quote from: acctingman on May 10, 2017, 06:17:44 PM
Any of you guys games on a Laptop?....

Never! I own one but I hate its touchpad and its tiny screen, so I would never use it for gaming.

However, a friend of mine uses a laptop for gaming and I have never heard him complain.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

undercovergeek

I used to - you have to accept you're buying a time capsule - once bought it's an unupgradeable time piece unless you're going to get real fancy with a screwdriver

chemkid

started gaming on my laptop 5 years ago - time capsule is very true! being hooked to 'old' matrix games is a plus... since everything's with some 3d-engine makes my son laugh!

but, if one can live with some minor tweaks and lower settings, most game will work - even games not 'certified' for mobile gaming...
(btw, i was really surprised to find out that blizzard's overwatch was kicking real good on my old machine!)

cheers!

bbmike

Yes, almost 100%. I have an Alienware 17 that runs everything I play (big for a laptop but it works) and a Dell XPS 9550 with a 15" screen. Honestly I think I could do with just the Dell XPS. It also runs everything I play and I love the "Infinity Edge" screen. It has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5 graphics card it. The notebook itself is very thin and light. It is also my travel computer. The new version of the 15" XPS has a NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5!

I should also note that in both laptops I only use SSDs. I'll never have a computer with the old HDD again unless it is just for storage. Highly recommended.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bardolph

Late to the party but yes. My last three "gaming" computers have all been laptops. Current one is about at the end of the power curve as I can't run a lot of the latest, greatest AAA wonders, but it still quite happily runs triple screens (on mostly low settings) for iRacing and rFactor2, and plays ARMA reasonably well, or did, and runs most of the other stuff I play at medium or better.  I've gotten a solid 5 years out of it. And none of the latest, greatest have really tempted me enough to want to upgrade.

I could have built a much more powerful desktop for the same money when I bought this one, but I had grown very keen on the ability to go sit on the couch with my computer when I wanted to. Now that I have it hooked up to three monitors it may as well be a desktop lol. So I'll probably go that route when I upgrade and free this one for couch surfing and casual gaming.