The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I have to be honest here.  I see those screenshots and they do nothing for me.

I know many of you guys love this game and games like it, meaning the old hex and counter grogfests.  But that just seems so 1980.  We've progressed so much from a wargame perspective that it's hard to feel like that is anything revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, I know that it's great at what it does, but I feel like wargaming has evolved beyond that type of game now. 

I mean, if you took away the city titles, and the little captions at the bottom of the screen, those scenarios look essentially the same. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 08:28:03 AM

I have to agree.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Still looks good to me, but I like the old hex and counter grogfests.  :smitten:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

spelk

Quote from: bbmike on April 19, 2017, 08:58:42 AM
Still looks good to me, but I like the old hex and counter grogfests.  :smitten:

I'm a hex and chit fan also. I was hoping for a better unit info panel, and perhaps there is more to it. Looking forward to it.

Sir Slash

The looks OK for me, nothing to get excited about honestly, but I'm wondering how similar to the previous games it will be? Whether there will be any changes/upgrades to the engine itself.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Crossroads

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 08:28:03 AM

I know many of you guys love this game and games like it, meaning the old hex and counter grogfests.  But that just seems so 1980.  We've progressed so much from a wargame perspective that it's hard to feel like that is anything revolutionary.

Don't get me wrong, I know that it's great at what it does, but I feel like wargaming has evolved beyond that type of game now. 

I mean, if you took away the city titles, and the little captions at the bottom of the screen, those scenarios look essentially the same.

Curious, what were you expecting to see in TOAW IV? Or is it the hex'n chits you don't much care about?
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Bison

Screen shots look good.  Now it's a wait and see the feedback on gameplay particularly after the new game hype fades.

Toonces

It's the hex and chits.

I'm not singling out this game; it's what it does.  It just seems very, very old school.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Crossroads

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 09:43:53 AM
It's the hex and chits.

I'm not singling out this game; it's what it does.  It just seems very, very old school.

Thanks, gotcha. Hex and chits old school, now what's that all about ha :nerd:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bbmike

Quote from: Toonces on April 19, 2017, 09:43:53 AM
It's the hex and chits.

You must really hate all of those 8bit pixel looking games on Steam. Those also seem very, very old school to me.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

undercovergeek

Got to side with toonces here

For a long wait for release only to see, essentially a 1980s game screenshots, what's the big wait for?

SirAndrewD

I just want to know if it'll have a VR option.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Crossroads

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 11:15:15 AM

For a long wait for release only to see, essentially a 1980s game screenshots, what's the big wait for?

Again, curious: what would you have expected to see in a 2017 hex and chits game? Honest question.

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on April 19, 2017, 12:18:30 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on April 19, 2017, 11:15:15 AM

Again, curious: what would you have expected to see in a 2017 hex and chits game? Honest question.

Something more modern. Not sure what exactly that would look like, but those screenshots look pretty much like TOAW III. I know it's purely visual and there will be substantial changes under the hood, but the pics don't sell me on the idea that this is really a new game.

Having seen the screenshots, I'm less enthusiastic about the game than when I read the first announcement.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Crossroads on April 19, 2017, 12:18:30 PM

I want 4k 3d Hexes and Chits modeled on true, photo realistic terrain.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback