The Dark Tower

Started by mirth, March 28, 2017, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

JP is right though - they should have shown him with the bugle.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

The bugle is... apparently confirmed? Somehow? I'm still piecing this news together. My interest in the variant plot however has legitimately increased.

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2017, 01:26:59 PM
So this is the start of just one more journey to the Tower. I'll give King credit for creating a very convenient plot device.

It wouldn't be just one more journey, because this time he didn't forget to bring the dang thing. If he loses it on the way, however, he's probably screwed (along with everything else).

(I should add that I am not a big fan of stable time loop plots however.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Doesn't he start with the Horn of Eld at the end of the last book? So at the very least, this is the new journey that starts at the end of Dark Tower VII, right? And theoretically it could be another journey entirely, but if he does possess the Horn of Eld in the movie we know he's not on the journey covered on in the books?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bob48

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2017, 03:51:43 PM
Doesn't he start with the Horn of Eld at the end of the last book? So at the very least, this is the new journey that starts at the end of Dark Tower VII, right? And theoretically it could be another journey entirely, but if he does possess the Horn of Eld in the movie we know he's not on the journey covered on in the books?
Sounds correct to me.

'Clip those corners'

mirth

I've only read parts of some of the books. So mostly I'm piecing it together from wikis.

bob48

Its worth reading in its entirety, honest.

..and preferably chronologically.......

'Clip those corners'

mirth

I am indifferent Stephen King fan. At his best, he is incomparable. However his tendency to verbosity makes JP seem like an amateur :P

bbmike

After watching those bad TV movies (It, The Stand, The Langoliers) I've avoided Stephen King like the plague. 
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

He's better than the crappy adaptations of his work, but the man needs a good editor to keep him focused.

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2017, 05:36:38 PM
I am indifferent Stephen King fan. At his best, he is incomparable. However his tendency to verbosity makes JP seem like an amateur :P

I cannot logically disagree with this. Or spiritually. Ecumenically. Grammatically....
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 09, 2017, 08:37:59 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

I cannot logically disagree with this. Or spiritually. Ecumenically. Grammatically....

Well played  O0

Sir Slash

What about 'Dongle-ically'?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Martok

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2017, 06:27:41 PM
He's better than the crappy adaptations of his work, but the man needs a good editor to keep him focused.
His horror stuff, perhaps, but I would disagree with his other works -- I don't think there's any help for him there. 

I distinctly prefer the film adaptations of Shawshank, Green Mile, and Stand By Me (The Body) over the novellas/novels.  They all possess a noticeable edge of...bitter grimness that really turned me off, and which the movies thankfully remove.  Indeed, it was reading the original novels/novellas (after having watched the film adaptations) that made me realize I'm never going to enjoy King's writing. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces