The Great, White Winter of 2017

Started by MetalDog, January 05, 2017, 11:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

Winter is coming to my town tomorrow in the form of around an inch of snow.  Insignificant to the vast majority of you, but, traffic stopping here.  You see, there are no sand or salt trucks.  No plows.  None of the accoutrement of other climes and their winter preparedness.  However, it appears that other areas of the Deep South may get it far worse than I.  For those in North Carolina, according to the article, it appears you may get the worst of it with a snow/sleet/icy rain mix.  Stay safe fellow Grogs!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/south-girds-for-historic-winter-storm-go-to-the-grocery-store-now/ar-BBxX30n?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

airboy

Quote from: MetalDog on January 05, 2017, 11:55:59 PM
Winter is coming to my town tomorrow in the form of around an inch of snow.  Insignificant to the vast majority of you, but, traffic stopping here.  You see, there are no sand or salt trucks.  No plows.  None of the accoutrement of other climes and their winter preparedness.  However, it appears that other areas of the Deep South may get it far worse than I.  For those in North Carolina, according to the article, it appears you may get the worst of it with a snow/sleet/icy rain mix.  Stay safe fellow Grogs!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/south-girds-for-historic-winter-storm-go-to-the-grocery-store-now/ar-BBxX30n?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Auburn may get some sleet, but I cannot see snow on the ground given the ground temperature. 

BanzaiCat

Any hint of white powder on the ground and the goal is to buy a six-pack and camp out on an overpass to watch the traffic hilarity ensue.

Steelgrave

Got a couple of inches here in OKC overnight, supposed to get another half inch or so during the day. Schools and some businesses closed and it's going to drop down to 5 degrees in the metro tonight, but warm up again tomorrow. OKC does pretty well for the most part when it comes to winter weather.

bayonetbrant

We're predicted to get 6" here. They've already brined roads and staged trucks. The goal for most places is to get everyone home before 4pm when it's supposed to start.

The good part is that it comes in over Friday night so the kids have the weekend to play before it starts to melt off
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

JasonPratt

I was wondering where this year's Snowpocalypse thread was! We've had a pretty warm summer in West TN (by the standards of my lifetime), but I'll occasionally see mentions of record snowfall up north.

This morning, we picked up our first significant fall of the season, somewhere between 1/2 and 1 inch of fine-pack.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 06, 2017, 09:09:51 AM
Got a couple of inches here in OKC overnight, supposed to get another half inch or so during the day. Schools and some businesses closed and it's going to drop down to 5 degrees in the metro tonight, but warm up again tomorrow. OKC does pretty well for the most part when it comes to winter weather.

As does Omaha although we have had a record number of water main breaks due to the cold. My neighborhood has been spared so far but I worry.

Yeah, stay safe southern Grogs. I've heard horror stories about cities that don't normally have to deal with significant snow.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 06, 2017, 10:13:06 AMYeah, stay safe southern Grogs. I've heard horror stories about cities that don't normally have to deal with significant snow.

Despite our reputation, Raleigh does a decent enough job of dealing with the snow.  The one year it got crazy was because it blew in very fast, right at lunchtime, and they didn't have time to get the plows out before the roads were choked with people who just decided to go home at lunch and call it a day.  That's the year of the (in)famous "car on fire" picture that got 'Shopped into memes all over the internet.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DoctorQuest

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 06, 2017, 10:28:14 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 06, 2017, 10:13:06 AMYeah, stay safe southern Grogs. I've heard horror stories about cities that don't normally have to deal with significant snow.

Despite our reputation, Raleigh does a decent enough job of dealing with the snow.  The one year it got crazy was because it blew in very fast, right at lunchtime, and they didn't have time to get the plows out before the roads were choked with people who just decided to go home at lunch and call it a day.  That's the year of the (in)famous "car on fire" picture that got 'Shopped into memes all over the internet.

That sounds like the "Atlanta Debacle" that happened a couple of years ago. Like most things in life, timing is everything.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Here in Fla. it's been below 70 degrees ALL DAY! And no sunshine!!!! Where the hell did I leave my long pants last spring? Seriously, it's been incredibly dry over the fall and we're very much looking forward to some rain tomorrow. Florida has had a 'Dry-Pocalypse' this year.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: DoctorQuest on January 06, 2017, 10:33:03 AMThat sounds like the "Atlanta Debacle" that happened a couple of years ago. Like most things in life, timing is everything.

Yep
http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta-traffic-jam-pictures-2014-1

OJsDad

We got an 1" in NW Ohio during the day yesterday.  This morning it was 1 out.  Currently, it's a balmy 9. 

Stay warm my friends.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

DoctorQuest

We're up to 14. I'm going swimming.

Barthheart