Download rate question

Started by Jarhead0331, January 04, 2017, 08:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I have two gaming desktops on the same network. They are both i7s, but my main gaming rig has a better gfx card, more ram and more HD space. I'm having issues with the main rig where I get random reboots and the blue screen of death. Otherwise, it runs very well.

Anyway, recently, I've been trying to download several files by torrent on the main rig. The DL was painfully slow and very unstable. A lot of fluctuation. Meanwhile, the upload rate was much higher comparably, and very steady.

Eventually, I got so frustrated with the slow progress, even after adjusting some of the torrent settings, that I decided to try downloading from my other rig. Surprisingly, the DL rate was much faster and rock steady. They are both on the same network, and have the same anti virus software. What would cause this difference?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Consider running a memory test on the main rig.  That, or harddrive deterioration could cause both issues, although HD problems don't usually result in actual reboots.

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2017, 08:03:25 AM...I'm having issues with the main rig where I get random reboots and the blue screen of death. Otherwise, it runs very well...

I don't know if this would be related or not, it might be. I have a PC that would blue screen and reboot a lot. It drove me crazy for almost a year. I read somewhere that lowering the memory clock speed in BIOS helped someone with the same problem. My memory clock speed in BIOS matched what my memory sticks were sold at. I lowered it and have had zero problems with the PC since. I also think it helped with download speeds.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

Are both PC's using wired or wireless connections, or are they connected differently. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: OJsDad on January 04, 2017, 12:30:14 PM
Are both PC's using wired or wireless connections, or are they connected differently.

Both connected with a wire into the same router.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Freyland

Quote from: Freyland on January 04, 2017, 11:37:35 AM
Consider running a memory test on the main rig.  That, or harddrive deterioration could cause both issues, although HD problems don't usually result in actual reboots.

Sorry for quoting myself, I wanted to clarify something in case it looked like I was talking out my tush.. you mentioned torrents, which utilize software to run more so than, say a client-based d/l, so will be more so affected by a memory issue.

bobarossa

And on the odd chance that there is a cable or router problem, you may want to swap the cables and see if the problem moves with it.  If it doesn't swap the ports on the router.  The memory speed change is definitely a good idea since you mentioned BSOD's.

Freyland

Any news, Jarhead?  I'm curious what you discovered.