Carrier Deck (announced at Matrixgames)

Started by steve58, December 07, 2016, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: glen55 on June 09, 2017, 04:17:23 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in!  :notworthy:

Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.

:D

Yeah, but as for this particular game . . . WW2 has an obvious appeal that the modern era lacks, i.e., two opposing carrier forces slugging it out with each other. The Deck Officer's job gets a lot more interesting when he has deck damage to work around (not to mention when he spends part of his time dodging bombs).

Even I have to cede this point.

Naval warfare in WW2 is still a go for me. 

The rest of WW2 strategy games, those in ETO ...

SirAndrewD

This game needs a lot of constant, blaring Kenny Loggins.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I went with the iOS version. It's simple,  but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 15, 2017, 09:10:04 PM
I went with the iOS version. It's simple,  but I'm enjoying it. Nice aircraft and mission variety. Pleasing graphics and sound.

I am interested in this but unclear as to whether  this is simply a kind of puzzle game in getting things up and down of the carrier or whether you are managing the actual squadrons . Pilots . Missions type of thing ? The latter seems it would be quite interesting the former not so much ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 16, 2017, 02:17:12 AM

I am interested in this but unclear as to whether  this is simply a kind of puzzle game in getting things up and down of the carrier or whether you are managing the actual squadrons . Pilots . Missions type of thing ? The latter seems it would be quite interesting the former not so much ?

No management of squadrons or pilots, unfortunately, but it at least feels like it is a little more than just a puzzle type game. Basically, you'll be tasked with a general mission, like destroy the enemy surface vessels before they can threaten your carrier. So, you'll have to launch recon aircraft to locate the threat and then put together and launch a strike package. However, at the same time, you'll need to launch other craft to search for and attack other threats, like subs or aircraft. The balancing comes with recovering aircraft, refueling them and rearming them for new missions. Aircraft can also be damaged, at which point you need to use the elevators to bring them below deck for repairs. So you not only manage the deck, but you manage some things going on below deck, as well.

Again, I wouldn't describe this as anything more than a really high quality time waster. Don't expect bombing of the Reich or anything.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Do you have the option to load a plane's had points with toilet bowls?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Seen that one before, but still a great photo.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Jarhead0331

You can't select specific munitions. You can only task an aircraft to engage a particular threat, so there is an Armament package for aircraft, subs, surface vessels, ground targets, etc. Haven't seen anything for plumbing yet.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

Pity. Picking the right package could send you clean around the bend.

'Clip those corners'

besilarius

Arleigh Burke was Chief of Staff to Marc Mitscher who commanded the Fast Carriers of the Third and Fifth Fleets in World War II.
He covered a lot of stuff in his book on running carriers, including what they did after the strikes were launched.
There wasn't really anything for them to do.
The strikes were often in radio silence, and the Force Fighter Director handled any snoopers that radar saw.
So Burke and Mitscher would talk about anything to fill in the time.  Mitscher was an avid fisherman and loved talking about fishing spots and some of the big ones he caught.
Not exactly high drama.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bob48 on June 16, 2017, 06:10:00 AM
Pity. Picking the right package could send you clean around the bend.

Oh God...here we go. In no time, this thread is going to be clogged with bad puns.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bob48

...bad ones are the only ones we know.

There; now I'm feeling a bit flushed. :-[

'Clip those corners'

Zulu1966

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 16, 2017, 05:22:50 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on June 16, 2017, 02:17:12 AM

No management of squadrons or pilots, unfortunately, but it at least feels like it is a little more than just a puzzle type game. Basically, you'll be tasked with a general mission, like destroy the enemy surface vessels before they can threaten your carrier. So, you'll have to launch recon aircraft to locate the threat and then put together and launch a strike package. However, at the same time, you'll need to launch other craft to search for and attack other threats, like subs or aircraft. The balancing comes with recovering aircraft, refueling them and rearming them for new missions. Aircraft can also be damaged, at which point you need to use the elevators to bring them below deck for repairs. So you not only manage the deck, but you manage some things going on below deck, as well.

Again, I wouldn't describe this as anything more than a really high quality time waster. Don't expect bombing of the Reich or anything.
OK thanks for taking the time to write up that excellent summary. Seems interesting enough from what you say at the price to buy.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

BanzaiCat

It only took a few minutes of one of the tutorial videos to see that this is pretty much what Jarhead said - that it's a puzzle-type game at heart. Not that this is a bad thing, as I find it somewhat intriguing, but it doesn't look like it has a lot of replayability.