Carrier Deck (announced at Matrixgames)

Started by steve58, December 07, 2016, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: acctingman on December 07, 2016, 03:00:37 PM
Bah modern stuff....make this WW2 and I'm in!  :notworthy:

Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.

:D
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

chemkid

Quote from: jomni on December 07, 2016, 09:41:30 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.

Just to please the kiddies.
these are called 'decals' and will open a whole world of possible content to buy in 'little' steps aka 'micropayments'!  ;)

chemkid

'DirectX10 Shader model 3+'... ?

now, if they have someone working on an ui overhaul to make everything look AND feel like WITP, please? that would be so goo~ooood!
(tbh, it looks like a game. it really does!!)

Grim.Reaper

Looks interesting....but I wonder how your actions will be tied into the success of the overall campaign since you are just managing one part.

I'll still be watching....

chemkid

ah! and sneaky, tricksy slitherine! matrix store 'official' forum links to a lonely post on the slitherine forums! HA!

jomni

Light games are usually under the Slitherine brand.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: jomni on December 08, 2016, 03:31:05 AM
Light games are usually under the Slitherine brand.
It'll be made for Apple products with cross platform support to PC probably.

Fast and simple. Nothing wrong with that business model except it doesn't fit my purchasing habit and so they get very few purchases from me nowadays. God - I used to buy loads of things on sale at Matrix.
However, it could be good for getting more people into strategy games mind....or it could be bad in that it just sucks development of hardcore strategy games and away from PC.

Who cares. It's not the only genre I'm interested in.

However, perhaps they should start being honest and prefixing all their games with i....so call this iCarrier Deck  :2funny:

This sounds interesting - but the graphics are a mahoosive turn off for me (early I know) and I'm not sure what gaming is going to be in there. I will watch it develop...see what comes of it. Certainly Carrier Ops are something I would be interested in.
Alba gu' brath

Tamas

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 07, 2016, 07:57:41 PM
I just checked out the screenies for this game. Looks interesting but I have one question (only one right now, that is). What is with the colorful makings on the planes and helps/osprays? Do they represent Squadron id? Readiness status? it's a little garish.

It indicates the loadout the given plane has.

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM

Lol...yeah, too many games taking on various time frames. There's a vacuum there waiting to be filled by SOME programmer somewhere willing to FINALLY produce a WW2 war game.

:DD

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: mirth on December 07, 2016, 02:21:36 PM
Points for doing something different.

This is the same developer who did Vietnam '65, and is currently developing Afghanistan '11 (closed beta).

He's got more stuff coming, and I don't think any of it will disappoint.

Link: http://www.everysinglesoldier.com/

salazarus

First tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChDVazsGWU

For me it looks too simple. I hope we will get another release from Matrix this month. I have to use my anniversary  coupon.

RyanE

Looks like you are the carrier deck boss.  It wold be interesting to play this after playing a game like Command.  You get to see the intricate tasks and cadence of handling  aircraft and crew on the deck.  I think the most interesting aspect would be to have several types of carriers, like LHA, ski jump carriers, etc. so you could see the detailed differences in the complexities of each different type.

I can picture playing this for a short time, but once you kind of see everything, not sure how much replay there would be.

Destraex

On ipad as well. Oh well... no wonder the graphics looks shit hot! ;P
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

glen55

Quote from: mikeck on December 07, 2016, 11:05:37 PM

Yeah, but as for this particular game . . . WW2 has an obvious appeal that the modern era lacks, i.e., two opposing carrier forces slugging it out with each other. The Deck Officer's job gets a lot more interesting when he has deck damage to work around (not to mention when he spends part of his time dodging bombs).
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

spelk

Quote from: salazarus on June 09, 2017, 07:04:59 AM
First tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ChDVazsGWU

For me it looks too simple. I hope we will get another release from Matrix this month. I have to use my anniversary  coupon.

Bit of a disappointment for me, I was imagining some sort of John Tiller Midway-esque carrier management in the middle of a conflict whereby you controlled CAP's and whatnot and effected the outcome of the conflict... but from this look-see, it seems to be a slot time-management game, where you just need to address the ins and outs of the lanes and slots.

I've shared the promo stuff and the tutorial vid with the computerwargames sub-reddit, but this seems to be more a casual game masquerading under the wargame banner of a Slitherine title. Shame that.

Unless, theres more depth to it than pure drag and drop slot/lane management.