Alien: Covenant

Started by mirth, November 24, 2016, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 28, 2016, 09:52:27 PM
Quote from: mirth on November 28, 2016, 09:37:32 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on November 28, 2016, 07:18:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 28, 2016, 03:20:40 PM
I enjoyed Prometheus and Alien 3. Send your active lawsuits to my legal counsel.

I actually enjoyed all the Alien-related movies, not counting the AvP things which I have not seen. Can we be co-defendents?

I don't even know where to start. Every movie after Aliens has been varying shades of awful.

Your learned cinematic post-mortems will probably apogee far above my lizard-brain capacity for comprehension. This weekend I yeehawed my way through Independence Day 2 with a complete lack of shame. Before any alcohol.
There isn't enough alcohol in the world (nor the time to drink it) that would allow me to sit in front of the screen for even 5 minutes of that film!  :hide:
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on November 28, 2016, 03:20:40 PM
I enjoyed Prometheus and Alien 3. Send your active lawsuits to my legal counsel.

I approve this message.

Continue sending all complaints to Gus' legal counsel.

Sir Slash

Thanks for that info Mirth. But now they know that we know. Everybody get your Mouth-Guards ready.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

MIGMaster

Prometheus had such cool potential - the wacky story line was somewhat disappointing, but Charlize Theron made up for the that !

mirth

Quote from: MIGMaster on November 29, 2016, 02:05:13 PM
Prometheus had such cool potential - the wacky story line was somewhat disappointing, but Charlize Theron made up for the that !

If only her character knew how to run to the side...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on November 29, 2016, 10:49:01 AM
Your questions have already been answered  :D

QuoteSome time prior to 2122, the Weyland-Yutani Corporation detected the signal being broadcast from the derelict on Acheron (LV-426), the middle moon of 3 orbiting the ringed planet Calpamos. While the language was unknown, the company succeeded in deciphering enough of the message to learn it was a warning regarding the deadly species Xenomorph XX121.  They subsequently dispatched the USCSS Nostromo to investigate, without the crew's knowledge, leading to initial human contact with the Xenomorph, the death of all but one of the ship's crew and the loss of the Nostromo itself. While the incident and the existence of the Xenomorph was apparently covered up by those involved, in a twist of irony the company later coincidentally established the Hadley's Hope terraforming colony on LV-426.

Most of that even comes from the first movie. (Or Alien 1 if the prequels now count or will count as "firsts".)

I suppose it's canon now that W-Y only coincidentally sent colonists to LV-426? Because under the circumstances I have a hard time buying that as coincidence. Though they're such a huge megacorp, maybe it could have happened without one tentacle knowing what the other tentacle was doing.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

This is supposed to be canonical backstory for the colony on LV-426

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien:_River_of_Pain
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

JasonPratt

Ah; as I thought, not a coincidence: W-Y sent them there expecting them to discover some kind of alien artifact or presence.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

I've always wished this script had been used for Alien 3. Would have been so much better than what was shot.

http://www.awesomefilm.com/script/Alien3.txt

JasonPratt

Yeah, what I skimmed through seemed high enough quality to be a good transition into TYRANNIDS!  :D Y'know, effectively. Not sure how I feel about Ripley being dumped out of the plot, but at least she isn't dumped unceremoniously, and they leave a plot opening for her to return. I guess with Weaver getting older and wanting to do other things, this was mandated plot point.

BanzaiCat

F*ck Alien 3. That movie sucks, though there are a few redeeming qualities (Roc, other decent actors, it's Aliens). In my book it's by far the worst of the series, and that's counting the two AvP movies. It could have been so much better, IMO anyway, and of course nobody asked at the time.  :'(

Gusington

I enjoy Alien 3. I like design of the prison, the absence of high tech weapons, the semi-medieval feel of the movie, Roc, and some of the other performances. Does it come close to Alien or Aliens? No. It's a very different movie.

I've never seen any of the AvP movies but I did see Resurrection - now that movie sucked.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 30, 2016, 09:09:54 AM
Yeah, what I skimmed through seemed high enough quality to be a good transition into TYRANNIDS!  :D Y'know, effectively. Not sure how I feel about Ripley being dumped out of the plot, but at least she isn't dumped unceremoniously, and they leave a plot opening for her to return. I guess with Weaver getting older and wanting to do other things, this was mandated plot point.

When that script was written, they weren't sure Sigourney Weaver would come back for a third movie. She was kinda done with the part back then. So they had to write around her.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 30, 2016, 09:14:35 AM
F*ck Alien 3. That movie sucks, though there are a few redeeming qualities (Roc, other decent actors, it's Aliens). In my book it's by far the worst of the series, and that's counting the two AvP movies. It could have been so much better, IMO anyway, and of course nobody asked at the time.  :'(

I don't know if I'd say it was worse than the AvP movies, but yeah Alien 3 sucked. It was stuck in development hell for several years and the result was a mishmash of rewrites, changes in producers/directors and the studio wanting to make a movie no matter what. Fincher nearly quit film making altogether because of the pressure and interference from the studio.

JasonPratt

I like A3 a little more every time I watch it -- which admittedly isn't often, and I can't decide if I like the director's cut better. (Probably so...?) I just have to get past it not being AT ALL what I wanted from "Alien-cubed". (Pro-note: if you're making a movie with a fan-base who loved Aliens, and you market your film as ALIEN-CUBED, you should dang well have more aliens than "Aliens" did.  :pullhair: )  Once I get past that, I'm okay with it. It's a miracle the film is as good as it is (in either cut).

A4, again I'm okay with it, partly because it's a little more like what I wanted from A3. Both films are highly weird in somewhat different ways.

Never saw AvP2; I keep meaning to watch AvP1 someday -- from what I've seen, and having adjusted for expectations, I'd probably like it. But my expectations aren't high enough to get around to actually watching it, obvs.  ::)