Main Menu

iBuyPower

Started by Greybriar, November 10, 2016, 07:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

If I remember correctly from when I bought my Blue Ray drive, the drive itself wasn't all that expensive. It was the cost of the driver(?) that had to be obtained in order to make the drive work that that ticked me off. :tickedoff:
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I remember that too. Where did you get yours from?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I'm not sure but I probably bought it from Newegg.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Greybriar on November 10, 2016, 07:03:29 PM
My Acer Predator died yesterday morning. :'(

So I am looking for a new desktop computer to replace it. The first one I looked at was the new Acer Predator and I was surprised to see that it was inferior to my old one in some ways. As a result, I thought I would try something new.

I didn't see any ready-made PCs that had all the features I wanted. As I lack the technical know-how to build a PC myself, I thought I'd ask here to find out what kind of luck members here have had with iBuyPower.

So what say you? Is iBuyPower a good place to shop? Are their desktop computers worth buying? Would you buy from them again?

My experience with them is dated...but very positive.  I would buy from them again.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Greybriar

Thanks for the reply, ArizonaTank. O0

W8taminute

I bought a new IBP desktop from Best Buy over the summer this year.  I really like  it.  It's fairly quiet but occasionally the fan becomes noisy when I'm playing an FPS but never when I'm playing TBS games. 

So after a few months of ownership I'm still happy with my purchase. 

At the time I was shopping I compared both the ASUS and the IBP desktops.  For the money and for what you were getting I choose IBP.  If I have the extra cash next time I'd like to try ASUS because my ASUS laptop is absolutely still strong after 3 years of ownership. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Ubercat

Our system is a Digital Storm, 7 years old now. I've never had a problem and will definitely be giving them our business again when we get a new one in the near future. It will be soon, I hope, because we've finally reached the point where I have to carefully check specs when considering the purchase of newer, high end games!

SSD and silent running games, here we come!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Greybriar

Thanks for sharing, W8taminute and Ubercat. O0

But it's making it harder to decide on what to buy. :-\

Bison

It seems that Digital Storm really changed their price structure.  You used to have several options between $800-1500.  Now?  No so much.  Maybe its because I haven't been in the market for a computer for a long time, but damn their prices seem overly high now.

Gusington

^You can also go 6-7 years without needing a full upgrade instead of 4-5.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

As I mentioned in another thread: "In a last ditch effort to save money (about $4,000!), I took my broken down Windows 7 machine to the shop. I learned the pump had failed on the liquid cooling system. After that is fixed and the repairman checks the system over, I will know whether I should keep it or just buy a new system."

One of the financial considerations in purchasing a top dollar PC is that the components drop in price rather quickly, but the companies that build custom made gaming rigs make them from the best (and most expensive) parts. For example, I had intended to use a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB but the technician at Falcon Northwest recommended a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB that costs over $300 more. That was true to a greater or lesser degree for many of the other components. I wonder whether it's really worth that much more to go with the current top of the line when in a few months the prices will drop considerably.

Anyway, after the comments in this thread, I have come to the conclusion that iBuyPower doesn't come close to making the quality products that Falcon Northwest does. But their machines don't cost nearly so much either.

bbmike

Unless you want to run max everything on a 4k monitor you don't really need the 1080. I came to that conclusion after building my own system. But don't take my work, read some reviews.  ;)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Those results are pretty much what I expected. Thanks for the link, Mike. O0

ghostryder

Another vendor I've dealt with quite often is Microcenter. They have stores in houston but will ship. prices on a par with newegg. I replaced all computers at work with their in house brand and not one has had an issue now ----well 5 years running.

Their gaming computers are well built and everything from motherboard to GPU is top notch. I bought my mom an all-in one a few years back. since these are like laptops I splurged for the warranty -was like an extra $68. Well a year an a half later it went belly up---they sent her a shipping box overnight for a no cost return---determined to replace the whole thing and over-nighted it to her. excellent warranty.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/473574/G427_Desktop_Computer

check out the specs on this-and note this is not a windows home version but windows pro-- things like that puts them above most. no pre installed app crap either which you get from HP or dell.

jamus34

Also realize that upgrading the vid card is probably the easiest modification to a PC you can do.

I drooled over the 1080 when I was building mine but the asking price just isn't worth it. In 3 years or so I can upgrade the vid card for the fraction of the cost of a new system and still run close to top of the line.

I mean the 760 I had in my old box could still run everything, just not turned up to 11.

From what I've seen with Nvidia if you get at least the xx60 card or higher your good. Anything lower is just not worth it.
Insert witty comment here.