Author Topic: Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing  (Read 3652 times)

Offline BC

• Arquebusier
Re: Champions of Krynn - The Next Groggy Adventure Thing
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2017, 04:46:05 PM »
14. Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of XP

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remembered this secret door at the south end of the inner sanctum...I think this will take us right out into Throtl.

I'm hoping that our 'relief' of the temple means Throtl is a safe haven now and we can move through the streets with impunity.

Yep, we're able to get out without being harassed.

Two MIDI-induced footsteps later and we're at the Outpost.

Tithe! Tithe! Give to the church! Goodbye, blood money!

First, we head over to the Training Hall.

BC becomes a 2nd level Knight. He cannot advance to level 3 yet. Want to guess why? He has 9,999 experience points. Guess how many he needs to get to 3rd level?

Yep! 10,000 experience points. UGH, this game!!

Anyway, moving on for the moment...

Good on MIRTH. But he's in the same boat as BC...and I've just realized something.

You can't advance more than two levels at a time in this game. I might have screwed the pooch here. Instead of letting you keep enough XP to advance two levels, it cuts you down to one point shy of what you need to get to that next level.

So, basically, the game has robbed MIRTH of over 2,000 XP. I hope that won't be a problem later in the game, but it's kind of lame too because the Throtl missions are ongoing and there's no real hard or fast break like there was in Phlan (Pool of Radiance), where you clear a block, go back to town, level up, rinse and repeat.

Oh well. I'm not going back and playing through all that again. I just hope that screw up on my part doesn't cause issues down the road. I'm going to have to check the XP levels constantly from here on out.

I think I'm going to go with Stinking Cloud for BBMIKE. The other spells are useless (at least, in my mind they are; your mileage may vary).

That's it. All leveled up and now 1 friggin' XP away from leveling up...AGAIN.

I might have to go off into the wilderness and find some hapless woodland creatures to beat up on to level up again.

But first, we have to head to the Armory to sell off crap/identify crap.

Pooling our funds, you can now see our current treasure level.

If necessary, I can appraise some of the gems or jewelry to get us where we need to be.

An easy way of not wasting money on identifying magic items is to just go through your inventory and offer to sell things. If they offer you 1,250 steel pieces for a shield, which normally they'd offer you something like zero steel pieces, you know you have a Magic ItemTM on your hands!

This one happens to be a Shield +1.

Additional identifications reveal a Flail +1 and a couple of Potions of Healing (one of Extra Healing) for SIR SLASH.

That's about it for the items...we've sold off a few suits of armor and identified a few magic items. We next head over to the Commandant's office.

Nice. I love vague directions. I guess we'll return to Throtl soon enough.

After returning to the Inn where we save our game (I'd already memorized spells there a moment ago), we head back out.

I want to wander around a while in the hopes of getting that 1 measly XP bump, but I'm not sure if there's random encounters or not...surely, there must be!

And my prayers are answered...err, sorta.

Nah, thanks, we're good here.

It doesn't take long before we run into some monsters.

Since we get initiative, I take the time to spread my guys out into a battle line. I have no idea what's coming until I have AIRBOY do his Yell ability.

Great! Goblins. No sweat. Hill Giant? Sweat!

HILL GIANT
One of the smaller of the giant races, they are brutish hulks possessing low intelligence and tremendous strength.

When the Giant hits our line, both SIR SLASH and METALDOG hit him. Of course, the Knight totally misses. The Hill Giant then pummels SIR SLASH for 11HP.

I have BBMIKE cast his new Stinking Cloud spell, in the hopes of taking out the Giant. All it does is make his tent-sized lungs cough, though.

At least it's there; if any Goblins are dumb enough to move into it, likely the cloud will nullify them.

BC manages to rectify himself by hitting the Hill Giant for 16HP (!). The monster still has 4HP though...and is just as dangerous at 1 HP as full HP.

BC then gets another turn in quick order, and hits the monster for 17HP (!). Maybe I should stop complaining about him not hitting things...the Hill Giant goes down in a heap of filthy. Woot!

Unfortunately, the Gobbos decide to go around the cloud and come at us from the right side. That's not too big a deal; I shift our lines accordingly, staying in Guarded mode, and when they hit our lines, two of them go down immediately.

A wounded SIR SLASH takes down one of the Goblins quickly after that.

BC, meanwhile, sweeps two Goblins...and misses them both.

What ya gonna do...? Sigh.

METALDOG takes out another Goblin, leaving three of them. I move MIRTH in, whom gets wounded not because a guarding Goblin hits him, but because I hit the wrong key and MIRTH moves away, inviting a free attack.

Oops.

I move MIRTH back in and he sweeps all three Gobbos, killing all of them. Way to go!

We get 488 XP for that little dance party, which should put us over the top for those next levels.

Holy CRAP, what was that Giant carrying?!? Treasure time!

And after that, we return to the Outpost for Level Up Time!

I'm going to choose Stinking Cloud for METALDOG, also.

SIR SLASH now has access to three Hold Person spells!

And that is that. We will move back to Throtl in the next chapter.

Offline Sir Slash

• Crossbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
WA-HOO! Level Three Clerics get all the Hot Chicks. Don't look at me like that.... Clerics need love too. Hey BC, I really like the way my armor and trousers match but my head looks a little flat. Anything you can do about that?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Offline airboy

• Condottieri
« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »
Hey Sir Slash.  I found a picture of your last good dream experience!

Offline Sir Slash

• Crossbowman
  • Co Butt-Kicker-For-Goodness of Minsc and Boo
« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2017, 09:08:44 AM »
Now that's a Pug Fart!  :2funny:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.