Main Menu

Verdun [PS4]

Started by spelk, August 30, 2016, 02:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Verdun is now out on PS4 for £11.99 (PS+ members) & £15.99 normally.

W8taminute

Interesting.  Might have to pick this one up. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

spelk

Played some Verdun on the PS4 last night, and cobbled together some of the fighting shots - just to capture the tense atmosphere of trench warfare, along with some frantic running and shell hole diving required to cross No Man's Land to co-ordinate a squad assault on the enemy trenches.

NCO's can bring in Mortar Strikes, set objectives for your troops to follow, and can act as a place to respawn when your troops die.. so often staying close to the front, but out of contact is the preferred NCO method.

Sadly the real conflict wasn't quite as forgiving.

P.S. I'm playing as a French soldier, EA take note.

W8taminute

Very nice video.  I love the muddy water filled trenches you fought in.  This game looks like a thinking mans shooter no?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

spelk

Quote from: W8taminute on September 01, 2016, 08:28:35 PM
Very nice video.  I love the muddy water filled trenches you fought in.  This game looks like a thinking mans shooter no?

Yes definitely a thinking man's shooter. It's all about positioning and timing. Co-ordination with a good squad will help you make progress, or secure a proper defence. It does create a real tension, when having to run out and be exposed, because incoming fire is usually fatal  - men aren't bullet sponges here. A well skilled sniper will make you pay, over and over again for daring to shellhole hop across No Man's Land.

Trench combat is often about surprise and flanking... and timing. Your rifle has a reload time that has to be taken into account when trying to fend off multiple attackers. Even machine gunners need to set up, and provide a lot of suppressing fire to be effective at holding advancing enemy squads. Supression takes the form of clouded peripheral vision in those who are under fire.

Mortar strikes can be devastating if the enemy know where you're headed.

Gas attacks, require gas masks to neutralise their effectiveness and as soon as the mask is on, your visibility is severely hampered.

It's not entirely a "sim" as such, there are gamey aspects to it, in that the NCO can be used as a mobile spawn location, if you have the command points for it. But they're usually only kitted out with a pistol, which isn't much use in a mid-to-long range trench fight.

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to sample the historical "experience" more so than "EA's Michael Bay revisionist action film pseudo WWII in WWI clothes". :)

Oh also, it's been out on PC for a couple of years now.. it's only just managed a console release. PC version is more stable at the moment. Console networking seems a little iffy at the moment - but works mostly. I'm sure they'll fix it up over time. Plus its real affordable.

W8taminute

That description does make the game sound like a lot of fun.  I bet if you have a team of players who know what they're doing the fighting would be fun.