COD: Black Ops 3 and the Mature Rating

Started by OJsDad, August 11, 2016, 07:36:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Jake comes up to me the other day and says he want COD: Black Ops 3.  My issue is that it's rated Mature and he's only 13.  Question for those of you that have it.  Why is it rated M and do you or would you let your 13 year old play it.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

I suspect the rating is due mostly to a couple violent scenes of torture and bad language. There are a lot of $hits and many f*cks from AI soldiers in the campaign. Also, the multiplayer will not be moderated and so the experience can vary there. Finally, there are also those stupid zombie maps and modes which might be deemed frightening for some.

Overall, it's just a typical violent shooter, nothing really struck me as any more over the top than what we've already come to expect.

I think a lot of the question comes down to the maturity level of the individual 13 year old. Is he capable of separating fantasy from reality? Has he already played violent first person shooters? Etc.

Good luck!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

OJsDad

Thanks JarHead.  Figured it was more for language than anything else.  We don't have Xbox Live, so the multiplayer isn't an issue.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

My 13yo has it and mainly plays multiplayer with friends on Xbox live.  A few of them have some slightly salty mouths, but it's honestly nothing he hasn't heard while watching my soccer team play in the adult leagues.

The solo campaign has a few cut-scenes with some tough visuals (like torture) and a few cases where you may have the option to shoot civilians.  But I think it comes back to JH's question about the maturity level of the 13yo.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers