New Star Trek RPG on the way

Started by bbmike, July 26, 2016, 07:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

They are beautiful sculpts though.

I wish I had $500 to drop on the uber box set with everything.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Well you can always just make your players show up in cosplay for immersion.

Nefaro

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on June 09, 2017, 04:54:23 PM
Here ya go, Red Shirts:

The Pre-Orders are up and running.

https://www.modiphius.net/collections/star-trek-adventures

You really should start reading entire threads.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 09, 2017, 05:01:16 PM
Here ya go, Red Shirts:

That would mean I'd have to filter through all the fondling of jibblies!   :))

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on June 09, 2017, 05:01:16 PM
Here ya go, Red Shirts:

That's a request right up there with asking people to stay on topic, read the "front page," or not talk about My Little Pony wargames.

Nefaro

Sad thing is...

I actually did read this whole thread.

Just not all at once....

bbmike

Hi, Nefaro! Don't get the picture but glad to see you finally decided to post in this thread.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 10, 2017, 07:38:41 AM
Hi, Nefaro! Don't get the picture but glad to see you finally decided to post in this thread.  O0

I'm a Modiphius fanboy, so I occasionally come back.  Like malaria or herpes.  :))

After owning books in their Achtung Cthulhu, Mutant Chronicles 3rd, Mutant Year Zero, and (now) Conan lines, I'll shamelessly sing praises of their quality & content.   :notworthy:  Even if I don't end up getting their ST rpg, I expect it will be great.

bbmike

Received my link for the Core Rules pdf. More good reading ahead.  O0
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 30, 2017, 06:07:50 PM
Received my link for the Core Rules pdf. More good reading ahead.  O0

Is it a pre-release?  Or is it finalized, and all the art in?

bbmike

Mostly finalized. The art is in but there will be a few more text edits before release.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

After looking at the official character sheet, it seems like they tossed the Skills, in the new Star Trek.  In favor of a smaller set of skill categories, like the way monsters & NPCs were in previous 2d20 games.  Albeit with a few specialties taking place of the previous PC skill set.  ?

Not a big change.  Just saving character sheet space, I suppose.  ;)

I also wonder how they portrayed the Lifepath character creation in this one.  I thought it was pretty damn cool in MC3, but the Conan one leans more toward random generation, and simple picks of a list if that is preferred.  Perhaps they moved back toward the MC3 style with this one?  Plus it offers ship generation as part of it?  8)

bbmike

After more reading I'm not sure if I like these new 'streamlined' RPGs. Yes, the skills are gone and there are Focuses that can kind of replace them. Sure it may make the game move faster but I think this makes the characters too generic. I guess I like all the 'crunchiness' of RPGs that people seem to hate. For example, if you fire your phaser at something you use your Control attribute and Security discipline. Later, let's say your character is on a planet and fires a locally acquired musket at something. I guess that's Control and Security again with a difficulty modifier? And you can use Momentum to reduce that modifier back down? I'm still learning the system but I think I might prefer the skills of FASA and LUG.

Lifepath creation is a bit better. You do go through steps where you pick your background and career but it is nothing like FASAs system. I love the FASA system of character creation.  :smitten:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on July 11, 2017, 05:40:53 AM
After more reading I'm not sure if I like these new 'streamlined' RPGs. Yes, the skills are gone and there are Focuses that can kind of replace them. Sure it may make the game move faster but I think this makes the characters too generic. I guess I like all the 'crunchiness' of RPGs that people seem to hate. For example, if you fire your phaser at something you use your Control attribute and Security discipline. Later, let's say your character is on a planet and fires a locally acquired musket at something. I guess that's Control and Security again with a difficulty modifier? And you can use Momentum to reduce that modifier back down? I'm still learning the system but I think I might prefer the skills of FASA and LUG.

Lifepath creation is a bit better. You do go through steps where you pick your background and career but it is nothing like FASAs system. I love the FASA system of character creation.  :smitten:

I like skill-based systems, and was a bit surprised to see so much of it wiped from the 2d20 system in ST. 

There's definitely a sweet spot, regarding the right amount of skills available.  I'm sure it varies from person to person.  I think Conan's ~24 skills are around the higher end of what I'd prefer.  Edge of the Empire had a few more, maybe 28 or so, which is pushing it. 

But ST seems to effectively have 6 (?) categories equivalent to skills.  Skill-based systems are nice because they allow more customization, usually replacing "cookie cutter" classes.  But when there are so few, it begins to resemble a class-based system again despite still having some flexibility in the possible overlap.

I'm not familiar with the new ST, so I can't postulate on it much.  Just saw this noticeable change.  Perhaps there are lots of specializations available to make up for the much smaller skill set?  But Talents in previous 2d20 games were pretty cool in that each skill had a tree of them to pursue, themed on increasing ability in that skill.  There could be 4-9 of these extra special abilities available for each skill.  I wonder if those are similarly reduced down to only six trees, or whether there are just more in each.  Or maybe the 'Focuses' are intended to make up for some of it?

The damage model seems to be cut down quite a bit, too.  It used to be separate Mental and Physical damage & effect tracking.  Along with an optional Hit Location & Armor system, akin to WFRP/40k RPGs.

I get the impression that the 2d20 system was cut down quite a bit in Star Trek Adventures.  Likely to please some, but not others.  I'm leaning toward the "too cut down" side.  More so since what looks to be such widely reduced options probably makes the lifepath char-gen rather samey.  :-\  The 2d20 crunch was just about right, for me, before.