The Duchess - a kickstarter gaming table 48 hours left

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 11, 2016, 12:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJK

An option for a small room/area is a map cabinet such as (excuse the ebay link):  http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Drawer-Stack-able-Oak-Wood-Map-File-Cabinet-for-24-X36-/130466929049

Sounds like a standard 22x34 would fit in a drawer.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

I soooooooooo want a map cabinet like that at some point in my life
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

The coffee tables are great but I need this to be a desk since the wife will be using it at times. I just found a site that lets you order unfinished, customized table kits that might work. I haven't priced everything out yet, though.
Wow, I never thought of a map cabinet before! I can see filling each tray with a game, walking into the room to play one and staring at it like I do with the game icons on my PC trying to figure out which one I really want to play.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GJK

That's too funny (but oh so true!).  The easy part is setting the game up.  The hard part begins when you actually try to play the game and have to use the rules that you've been reading.  It's very easy to say "too much...I'll just play Battle Cry" (or something).  Same with PC games.  I launch HOI4 and I think "ugh, I know what I *want* to do but I have no idea in what layer of menu items that feature is...too much!" so I go back to Grogheads forums to read and post instead.  :)
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

Well, my table finally arrived today, 8 months behind schedule. 

I'd read that assembly was a challenge so I was happy to discover that it went together fairly easily.  The instructions could have been clearer though as they don't inform you which way certain slats are supposed to face and naturally, I had them backwards every single time.

Things progressed well during the build....too well. 

Once I'd assembled the table and the cup holders, I moved on to putting the table top on and only then did I discover that they only sent me one half of it.

One day....one day things will work out the way they're supposed to with zero hassles and I'll probably have a nervous breakdown when it happens.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, hopefully I can get things sorted with the distributor tomorrow.  Apart from the missing half of the table topper (and the play mat.  They're being delivered later as the original ones shrank over time and didn't fit the well), I'm very happy with it.  I mean, look how well it holds my pint!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Missing 1/2 the top just means that you will always have to have a game in play to make it 'look right'.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Silent Disapproval Robot

Barthheart

Been and gone.
I was so busy with work I couldn't get anywhere.  :(

Silent Disapproval Robot

The missing parts showed up this week so the table's now complete.  The dual-sided mat is about 1cm too long so it doesn't quite fit into the well properly but according to chat posts on the Kickstarter page, it should shrink to fit within a few days.  If not, it shouldn't be too hard to trim it.  I dithered a bit about the colours for my mat, but I'm quite happy with both the burgundy and the blue that I ended up going with.

bayonetbrant