Brazil 2016 Summer Olympics

Started by steve58, July 04, 2016, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I'm surprised Billy-boy hasn't landed a gig with the IOC.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Who says he hasn't? If there's under-handed money to be made, the Clintons probably have a pipeline into it.

OJsDad

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 04, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
Who says he hasn't? If there's under-handed money to be made, the Clintons probably have a pipeline into it.

Not to mention the hookers. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Con

I was really sad for selfish reasons that Boston dropped out of the Olympic host.  I was pretty certain we would get the Olympics (the US is the biggest market and due and Boston would make a great host city)  Living 3 mins walk to the T (the Boston Subway) I figured I could rent my house out for the month of August and make a pretty penny.  A friend of mine made $50K renting her detached house out at Clapham common for the London Olympics.

However seeing how the greed and corruption and cronyism that are the modern Olympics it really is a huge waste of money that is left burdening the host cities and states for years to come for no gain.  As they said while dropping Bostons bid there is no reason why citizens should get stuck footing the bill for shoddy transit infrastructure, villages and stadiums that have no real way to be re-purposed all to throw a two week corporate party for Nike and Puma etc.  I am actually proud seeing how these Olympics are now progressing that Boston told them to go Shove it.

Con

Con

Quote from: OJsDad on August 04, 2016, 10:35:02 PM

By the way if you want to talk about US Olympic scandals then the Utah Olympics takes the cake for bribery and for making the federal government cough up unprecedented amounts of dough for the event (the latter part organized by Romney)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_Winter_Olympic_bid_scandal

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on August 04, 2016, 10:35:02 PM

If anyone has a pipeline to hookers, it's Bill Clinton.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

OJsDad

QuotePaul Kelso, a journalist for Sky Sports in the UK, reported on Friday that an Olympic kayaker had capsized after hitting a submerged couch.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

So the first Gold Medal of the games went to the US. Specifically, to a teenage girl with a gun

The best quote I saw about it online was
QuoteGold Medal count:
USA -1
LITERALLY EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD -0
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

I don't care what kind of heartless unsentimental fucks you guys are, if you didn't get chills when the Refugee team got the second-biggest ovation of the night coming into the stadium for the Parade of Nations then you guys just suck giant green weenies.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2016, 06:47:57 PM
I don't care what kind of heartless unsentimental fucks you guys are, if you didn't get chills when the Refugee team got the second-biggest ovation of the night coming into the stadium for the Parade of Nations then you guys just suck giant green weenies.

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies, so I didn't chilled at all ;)

bayonetbrant

Barthheart

What the hell is a Refugee Olympic Team?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on August 06, 2016, 07:56:59 PM

athletes that qualified in individual sports but can't represent the country they're "from" b/c they're refugees who have left - they're from places like Syria and Congo

Barthheart

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 06, 2016, 08:02:52 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on August 06, 2016, 07:56:59 PM

athletes that qualified in individual sports but can't represent the country they're "from" b/c they're refugees who have left - they're from places like Syria and Congo

Soooooo... why don't the participate for the country that they live in now? Is that country not putting up funds to train and send them to the games?
Not trying to be obtuse, well mostly, but this seems to be a really weird thing to start doing....