This time....B-17:Queen of the Skies

Started by JudgeDredd, June 17, 2016, 02:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

The Brits used a few (as transports, I think) but they were known as 'Washingtons' IIRC
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DennisS

Quote from: acctingman on June 03, 2017, 11:54:52 PM
Quote from: DennisS on June 03, 2017, 06:28:03 PM
Well. I broke out B-17: Queen of the Skies a little while ago...it's been awhile.

But, I have played this game so many times, I didn't need any kind of refresher.

Second mission, to Meaulte, good fighter cover, no flak, bomb run ON TARGET.

...and I roll boxcars. Twelve. All you gamers that play this game know what this means! "88% + 2D6" for bomb damage. I got up, went downstairs, and told the missus..."I rolled boxcars." She looked at me like I was nuts, I do this a lot...comments without context.

...aaaand I go upstairs, shake the doo-doo out of the two dice, and roll .... another 12. First. Time. Ever. 100% on target.

Why would something this stupid mean so much?
I've never played this game, but I get this!

Got a good chuckle, thanks!  O0

In reality, I was overdue. 1/36 times 1/36 is 1,296. I have played way more missions than this. Documented. I track EVERYTHING, and can tell you to three decimals what my average bombing score is. (16.543). This is what makes this game so much fun. I have all the play aids mostly memorized, and can rip through a mission just as fast as I can roll the dice.

bbmike

Damn, why did I accidentally post in this thread? Now I want to buy Target For Today.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

DennisS

OK grognards..I need some help.

I LOVE to roleplay my airmen, and similar to Patton's Best, I want awards and decs for my fliers.

Here's what I have come up with..and it needs tweaking.

Points per mission are now earned at the following rate:

1 point per bombing damage for each flyer, 2 points for the bombadier
5 points per zone traveled for each flyer
10 points for successful landing, for pilot and copilot
40 points per ME-109 killed for the gunner responsible
60 points per ME-110 killed for the gunner responsible
80 points per FW-190 killed for the gunner responsible
5 points per each fighter killed in the mission, for each flyer
Light wound: 20 points
Serious wound/Frostbite: 40 points
KIA: 60 points
2 points for each non-superficial hit the aircraft suffers

After all points are totaled, add 1D6 x 1D6 (1-36 additional) to the total
280 points - Airman's Medal
300 points - Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)
320 points - Bronze Star
340 points - Silver Star
360 points - Distinguished Service Medal (DSM)
380 points - Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)
400 points - Congressional Medal of Honor (CMoH)

Each five missions earns an Airman's Medal for each flyer.
Each award which duplicates an award already received earns the next higher award instead, with the exception of the Airman's Medal

I have ran a ton of scenarios, to see if this passes the smell test, and I believe it does. I JUST finished a massively long mission to La Rochelle, and my ball turret gunner got three kills, the plane got all shot up, it was a successful mission (40%), and there were eight total kills by the crew. He just missed the CMoH...and I am OK with this.

This adds a little bookkeeping, but it really increases the immersiveness of the game. Your thoughts on possible additions or modifications?

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on June 04, 2017, 02:50:51 PM
The Brits used a few (as transports, I think) but they were known as 'Washingtons' IIRC

Post-war, Bomber Command equipped few squadrons with 29s. They weren't in RAF service for very long.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Once the RAF got the nuke-capable Canberra the B-29's were returned to the US.

Here's a post on the War Thunder forums from a guy with info on the Washington and the squadrons that flew it:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/112485-raf-washington-b1-the-british-b-29/

One of his pix:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

No doubt, we were thrilled to have them back.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Good stuff, Stagger. Thanks for posting that.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

DennisS

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 05, 2017, 06:21:44 PM
Once the RAF got the nuke-capable Canberra the B-29's were returned to the US.

Here's a post on the War Thunder forums from a guy with info on the Washington and the squadrons that flew it:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/112485-raf-washington-b1-the-british-b-29/

One of his pix:

I was stationed at an RAF base in the mid '70's, (Woodbridge) that still had Canberra's assigned to it. It also had F-4's, soon to convert over to the first base in Europe to get A-10's.

DennisS

So...I am cruising along in B-17: Queen of the Skies, and I roll a 12 for the fighter wave. Unusual, a random event. I roll again, and get a Rabbit's Foot! This enables me to re-roll any one roll.

...aaaand much farther into the mission, I roll for flak, get light flak, and roll light. This is great, as only a 2 or a 12, a total of 2/36 chance for flak hitting the craft. I roll none, none, and then a 12. Damn. Ooook. Time to use the Rabbit's foot. It's a short mission, and this will stop the -1 drm for the bombing run, pretty significant.

What happens? I re-roll a frigging 2. The chances of me rolling a 12 then a 2 is 1,296, exactly the same odds as me rolling 100% damage the other day.

With the -1 DRM, I needed a 4-6 for an ON TARGET roll, and naturally rolled a 3.

Can't really complain, this plane is on its 21 mission. VERY rare to complete all 25. The secret? Abort early, and often, and every chance I can, and still get credit for the mission.

ArizonaTank

Target for Today has arrived.  A nice hefty package.

Here is an almost too detailed unboxing vid...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSGt4vD5cyE
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.