Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

This is on my radar with the Steam sale going on now.  I've been hesitant in the past after reading about how bad the AI is but it sounds like Paradox finally resolved most of the issues.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

bobarossa

Does it still have division spam?  Didn't they implement manpower limits like in HOI3?  It's $20 for base game right now which is more than I want to spend on it.

Ian C

Quote from: bobarossa on June 24, 2017, 08:41:04 AM
Does it still have division spam? 

EDIT: No. I checked the values in the default defines file in 1.4.1 and they are close to, or the same as the Expert AI mod values, which fixes the issue.

Current thread about this question: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/is-division-spam-better-fixed-in-1-4.1032229/ however, as I said, the values of the base game are now almost identical to the mod's.

Expert AI mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741805475

smittyohio

What about the Pacific War?  Does it ever resemble the historical path?

Ian C

Quote from: smittyohio on June 26, 2017, 06:07:24 PM
What about the Pacific War?  Does it ever resemble the historical path?

Yes -and no.
There are historical paths that both the Japanese and US (players & AI) can choose that will do this and enable the 'Pearl Harbour Gambit'.  If you as the U.S player choose your National Focus to an Historical timetable, you can trigger Pearl Harbour at the right time.

War can also break out later to non-Pearl Harbour events and circumstances. Starting in 1939 will give more historical accuracy, as starting in 1936 will give the AI time to fire different events off resulting in a less historical but still plausible outcome.

As far as activity in the Pacific, yes. The AI update really has put naval and invasion AI into overdrive - so much so it broke the European Theatre for a short time by causing the UK AI to invade Germany in '39 constantly but this has been fixed in the current Beta. The Japanese AI will easily invade the East Indies, Pacific Islands, Port Moresby and Australia. I learnt the hard way by not checking Australia much and then seeing Japan had landed on the coast and also taken Port Moresby.

smittyohio

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!   I'll probably pull the trigger on this finally.... Thanks!

FarAway Sooner

So you're saying that the AI is now in the "decent" category?

Damn you, maybe that means I have to buy this as part of the Steam Summer Sale rather than X-Com 2.  You gentlemen aren't making my life any easier, thank you...    :tickedoff:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on June 28, 2017, 08:57:05 AM
So you're saying that the AI is now in the "decent" category?

Damn you, maybe that means I have to buy this as part of the Steam Summer Sale rather than X-Com 2.  You gentlemen aren't making my life any easier, thank you...    :tickedoff:

I'd be willing to call it almost decent after 1.4.1, yes.  There are still some potentials to go off the rails, especially with bad Axis strategic decision making, but 1.4.1 did a lot to fix some of the very glaring issues that have been crippling the game since launch.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Ian C

1.4.1 final is out. Looking good.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on June 29, 2017, 01:00:55 PM

It's not showing up for me....1.4.0 is showing as the latest?

IronX

Just after deleting from my HD. I might have to reinstall it now...

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Rayfer on June 29, 2017, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: Ian C on June 29, 2017, 01:00:55 PM

It's not showing up for me....1.4.0 is showing as the latest?

On the Paradox site the Devs said you might need a Steam restart. If that doesn't work, try opting in on the Betas tab in Steam perhaps?  Checksum should be 6e42.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Ian C

Rayfer

smittyohio

One more question... How does the game handle ally cooperation?  Can you plan things like Operation Overlord?