Author Topic: Console Recommendations  (Read 8207 times)

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
Re: Console Recommendations
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2017, 05:20:56 PM »
You can get digital downloads of Xbox games to play.  I don't believe it plays physical media as backwards compatibilie.   

It will run disc copies of 360 games that have been made compatible on the Xbox One.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/compatibility-with-xbox-360-faq#Xbox360gamecompatibility1

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"We're so fooked." - me

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
An Xbox One S for $199 tomorrow. Is it worth it? I've never, ever owned a console but I'm tempted.  :dreamer:

I think so.

Very much worth it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"We're so fooked." - me

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »
You can get digital downloads of Xbox games to play.  I don't believe it plays physical media as backwards compatibilie.   

It will run disc copies of 360 games that have been made compatible on the Xbox One.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/compatibility-with-xbox-360-faq#Xbox360gamecompatibility1

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility/available-games

I did not know this very cool.

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2017, 06:49:52 PM »
Or looked at another way, it could technically play any 360 disc game if Microsoft wanted it to, but they're restricting it by code to only work with discs of games available digitally from the store.

And that concession required a massive fan backlash: Macro$lash wanted to double dip customers by forcing a rebuy of games players already owned on disc for anyone who wanted to continue playing them without the hassle of keeping another console (already notorious for a self-destructive lifespan anyway) connected up and ready to go.

As it happens, stats (in the other article) report that less than 2% of time is spent on playing 360 games on the Bone anyway. So M$ recovered some customer good-will at no great loss in potential extra revenue.

Not that I have anything to be bitter about: I'm a Playstation player. (I have my own bitternesses to be bitter about when it comes to compatibility. ;)  :pullhair: )
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline mirth

• Little Bo Beep
  • Musketeer
  • Cardboard Harlot
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2017, 07:06:59 PM »
It can't just play any 360 game. AFAIK, there isn't an onboard emulator like Sony tried to do with the early PS4s (which they dropped because of cost). There is some work involved to make 360 games compatible with the Xbox one. And honestly MS (or Sony or anyone else) isn't under any obligation to provide backward compatibility. It's a nice feature to offer, but if I really want to play my 360 games I'll play them on my 360.

The truth is most users of the Xbox One don't make use of backward compatibility anyway - https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

"We're so fooked." - me

Offline JasonPratt

• Arquebusier
  • Now let us see what the future will bring...
    • The Evangelical Universalist
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2017, 07:04:16 AM »
The truth is most users of the Xbox One don't make use of backward compatibility anyway - https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/backward-compatible-xbox-360-games-are-less-than-2-of-xbox-one-usage-time/

Yes as I noted in my post. ;)

I know they aren't under any legal or moral obligation to provide back-compat. What people were upset about was fishing for rebuys.

How does the limited compatibility work, btw? -- the disc is used for authentication and then the game (properly modified with some work to make it play on the XBone) is downloaded from the store?
GROGS OF CRISIS -- a four-player mp of GMT's boardgame Time of Crisis, set in the decades before Diocletian.

Me vs Barth -- DC1: Blitz

Survive Harder! In the grim darkness of the bowl there is only, um, Amazons. And tentacles and midgets. Not remotely what you're thinking! ...okay, maybe a little remotely.

PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Season One complete; Fantasy Wars AAR

The full pdf of Cry of Justice has been posted to the Grogheads Book category here.

Offline Grimnirsson

• Viking
    • Homefront Wargame Center
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »

the disc is used for authentication and then the game (properly modified with some work to make it play on the XBone) is downloaded from the store?

Yep
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de