Console Recommendations

Started by Bison, January 14, 2016, 03:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

So I'm upgrading the family entertainment center/room and am leaning toward replacing the PS3.  I'm looking at the PS4.

I've really been just enjoying sitting in the lazy boy and playing Batman Arkham Asylum and NCAA 08 on the big TV screen.  Anyway I did a quick trade value for my PS3 system on gamestop and it looks like I can get over $100 for the system and games to put toward a new console.

Wii U - Kids want this because of Mario Cart and Mario World.  I hate the controller with a passion.  It's absurdly large and beyond Mario I think the game selection isn't too good.

Xbox One vs. PS4?  I'm leaning toward the PS4.  I really like my PS3.  I cannot think of any exclusive titles that drive me one way or another with the exception of MLB The Show.  Any reason why the Xbox One is better?  Gameplay, potential longevity of the system?

Also I'm looking at a games that capture the Mario feel without it being a Wii U exclusive.  The Disney Infinity system looks great and I played the Star Wars demo and it actually kicked ass.  I've also looked at Lego Dimensions.  Any other titles for either system that capture the Mario Cart and World feel?

Finally has anyone traded in an old system with gamestop?  Do they honor the online quotes?

Thanks Gents.

OJsDad

Bison, we just got an XBoxOne for Christmas.  One of the game we got with it was Disney Infinity.  The my daughter (15) really loves.  My son (12) likes, but not as much as the used copy of A Need for Speed or Minecraft that we got. 

Of course, he's now trying to take over my PC so he can play 7 Days to Die. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

If you have a PS 3 and are happy with it, you should probably go with a PS4. I just got an Xbox One, but it was mainly because I have a 360 (and an original Xbox that still runs like a champ). I mainly went with the XB1 for backward compatibility with my 360 library and I've generally been happy with every generation of Xbox I've owned.

I've been looking at Disney Infinity for my own kids. Not sure if I'll buy, they're pretty happy playing any of the Lego games and we have a pile of those now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

Bison, I agree with Mirth.  If your happy with PS then stick with it.

One cook think with Xbox1, if you have Win10, you can connect to the Xbox from it and watch what is going on.  I think there is some other functionality too, but haven't played with it too much yet. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

I haven't done it (I don't have Win 10 and I don't want it) but you can stream games from the Xbox One and actually play them on your Win 10 machine - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/gaming-on-windows/how-to-use-game-streaming

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

DoctorQuest

My son has seen them all and ended up sticking with the PS. He sort of regrets not having an X-Box for the new Halo but life's a bitch, right?

I had a Wii just for Netfix for a while and I agree on the controller comments. I just did not like it.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Bison

Well that's interesting about the streaming. 

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 04:03:26 PM
Well that's interesting about the streaming. 

It's a cool feature, even though I'll probably never get to use it.

JasonPratt

There are TONS of good PS3 titles (including most of the other Arkham games), so unless you've played them all already I would kind of recommend against dumping it for the trade. Maybe trade off games you're sure you'll never play again.

I don't have a new console yet, but I effectively chose to opt out of the new console generation and re-invest with a new PC. I haven't regretted that choice yet, but neither can I offer further advice beyond "don't dump the PS3".

Besides, Mariokart? Dude. You have a PS3. Find the Motorstorm games, and/or the Burnout games. Your kids will miss nothing, and will be able to DESTROY their friends with elite arcade racing skilz.

A platformer like Marioworld... uh. Yeah that's admittedly harder. Possibly more of those on the PC nowadays than on PS3 (or PS4). Maybe the Ratchet and Clank series? I feel like Skyrim is the answer to everything, but that's about my level of "platforming". ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

I will say this about upgrading, at least in regards to the Xbox One. It is graphically far superior to the 360. I own Dragon Age Inquisition for both systems and it's just stunning on the Xbox One. I spend a far amount of time just looking around at the scenery.

I'm guessing it's a similar experience moving from the PS3 to PS4.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on January 14, 2016, 04:01:49 PM
I haven't done it (I don't have Win 10 and I don't want it) but you can stream games from the Xbox One and actually play them on your Win 10 machine - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/gaming-on-windows/how-to-use-game-streaming

The one time I tried it, J was playing Minecraft and the link said I needed a controller connected to my PC.

Bison

Getting rid of the PS3 is a precondition to getting a new system.  The wife would kill me with "The Look" for the next several months, especially since we are doing a bunch of spring cleaning and purging of old, unused stuff.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 04:36:17 PM
Getting rid of the PS3 is a precondition to getting a new system.  The wife would kill me with "The Look" for the next several months, especially since we are doing a bunch of spring cleaning and purging of old, unused stuff.

I'm moving the original Xbox into the kids room. I no longer have cabinet space in the living room for all of the consoles. Did I mention there's a Game Cube too? :P

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on January 14, 2016, 04:36:17 PM

Yea, wouldn't want you to get 'purged' with all of that 'old and unused stuff'    :2funny:

Bison

Hehe.  The lazy boy is a comfortable place to sleep.