The Expanse (SyFy)

Started by Nefaro, December 15, 2015, 01:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Just watched the first episode of SyFy's new series The Expanse.

This looks pretty damn good already.  O0

I've never read the series of novels.  Wouldn't be surprised if someone here has.

Steelgrave

That would be me. The books were great and I thought the first episode got off to a good start. Congrats to SyFy for moving back towards solid science fiction.

Nefaro

SyFy has definitely been improving their in-house stuff lately.  With actual Sci-Fi!  8)

Nefaro

You can watch the first episode online, from SyFy's site:

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

Staggerwing

Did anyone catch 'Childhood's End' last night on Syfy? The book made quite an impression on me when I was young.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I seriously considered, but, in the end, no.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on December 15, 2015, 07:58:15 PM
Did anyone catch 'Childhood's End' last night on Syfy? The book made quite an impression on me when I was young.

Yes.

It's... okay.  The production value seems generally decent too.  My non-committal attitude is more due to the story itself, but it beats most run-of-the-mill junk I suppose.  Didn't "wow" me as much as The Expanse's first episode did.

JasonPratt

I take it this is like Gundam but without Gundams and more asteroid belts?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 16, 2015, 01:45:37 PM

No.

What are you talking about?

Also... are "gundams" those japanese robot-things?

*sigh*

I suppose others will eventually get around to watching it after a year or two, and then finally show up to discuss.   :-\

eyebiter

You can now watch Episodes 1-4 on Syfy

JasonPratt

Most Gundam stories are about a political and military conflict between a confederation (or federation) of Earth-based governments, and a number of colonies in the solar system -- typically traveling along Earth's orbit and on the Moon, though sometimes with further outposts at Jupiter or wherever. I don't recall one where the colonies are around Mars and the asteroid belt, though.

Thus the quip: earth and colony political disputes, but with no giant robots, and with more asteroid belts.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 16, 2015, 03:31:16 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on December 16, 2015, 01:45:37 PM

No.

What are you talking about?

Also... are "gundams" those japanese robot-things?

*sigh*

I suppose others will eventually get around to watching it after a year or two, and then finally show up to discuss.   :-\

I plan to catch up fairly soon. I've read the first book, so I'm definitely interested in the show.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 17, 2015, 12:14:11 PM
Most Gundam stories are about a political and military conflict between a confederation (or federation) of Earth-based governments, and a number of colonies in the solar system -- typically traveling along Earth's orbit and on the Moon, though sometimes with further outposts at Jupiter or wherever. I don't recall one where the colonies are around Mars and the asteroid belt, though.

Thus the quip: earth and colony political disputes, but with no giant robots, and with more asteroid belts.

Thanks for filling me in. 

I've never been much for Japanese cartoons/anime, so you can assume that I know almost nothing of the references.   ???

Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2015, 10:39:52 PM

I plan to catch up fairly soon. I've read the first book, so I'm definitely interested in the show.

After binge watching episodes 2-4, I got the kindle version of the book.

Good time for some new reading.  Been in a bit of a gaming funk once again.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I enjoyed the first episode.  Fell asleep during the second due to overwork and one too many beer.  I'll try to watch it again tomorrow.

Seems decent so far.  Not really digging the whole hipster cop subplot though.

eyebiter

The CQB episode was great, did not expect that outcome.