The X-Files...back this summer

Started by steve58, March 24, 2015, 01:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 24, 2015, 04:51:44 PM

They need to make it like the Twighlight Zone. Conspiracy Central was crap.

Agreed.

Barthheart

JasonPratt

To be fair, XF has made dumptrucks more money than FF ever has.

FF may be a critical geek darling now, but I can't blame Fox for going for the money.

(Besides, "Mal" is busy on Castle.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

just be quiet and you wont get hurt.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

Quote from: Nefaro on March 27, 2015, 08:37:57 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on March 24, 2015, 04:51:44 PM

They need to make it like the Twighlight Zone. Conspiracy Central was crap.

Agreed.

I'll take some of that, too.  I started watching from the first show.  I originally liked it BECAUSE it was a different thing every week.  Then the Mulder/alien storyline started and that was good, too.  Then that's ALL they focused on and it became crap.  The movie was shite, too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 27, 2015, 04:17:43 PM

Gee, X-Files made more money than Firefly? Maybe that was because Fox needlessly canned Firefly after less than One Muthertrucking Season!!! Given how many seasons X-Files was on of course it would make more scratch for the network (though I have a strong suspicion that the folks who pulled the plug on Firefly would have done the same to X-Files had they called the shots a decade earlier). If Firefly had been given a chance it might very well have become both a critical and a cash-by-the-cargobays success.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

I know I'm in the geek minority here but I honestly never got Firefly. Roddenberry pitched Star Trek as a 'western' in space. Firefly was LITERALLY (trains, Confederates and all) a western IN space.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

GDS_Starfury

maybe you have to binge watch it.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bbmike

Could be. I think I should give it at least one more chance.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

I got the entire Firefly on DVD including the episodes not shown before the show was canned. I thought it was great but I will admit it was a slow starter. But so was Buffy and that show did great after it caught-on. Fox should've let Josh do his thing. After all what the hell did they replace Firefly with? Damned if I can remember so, it probably didn't do any better.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 27, 2015, 06:03:44 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on March 27, 2015, 04:17:43 PM

Gee, X-Files made more money than Firefly? Maybe that was because Fox needlessly canned Firefly after less than One Muthertrucking Season!!! Given how many seasons X-Files was on of course it would make more scratch for the network (though I have a strong suspicion that the folks who pulled the plug on Firefly would have done the same to X-Files had they called the shots a decade earlier). If Firefly had been given a chance it might very well have become both a critical and a cash-by-the-cargobays success.

I can't and don't disagree (and for the record I love Firefly more than I do XFiles).

Nevertheless, from an accounting standard XFiles is right now, today, the safer bet.

And even accounting for the hideous scheduling differences, XFiles was much more of a monster hit out of the gate, so no, no executive was ever going to treat it like Firefly.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on March 27, 2015, 05:12:27 PM
I'll take some of that, too.  I started watching from the first show.  I originally liked it BECAUSE it was a different thing every week.  Then the Mulder/alien storyline started and that was good, too.  Then that's ALL they focused on and it became crap.  The movie was shite, too.

The pilot was about the mytharc; the second episode (the first official one as a series, which no one will ever convince me wasn't supposed to be called "Pilot" since it dealt with pilots ;) ) was about the mytharc -- not that there was really a mytharc yet, but it was about Mulder, aliens, government using alien tech, etc. -- Episode 4, mytharc (abductions and Mulder's sister), ep 10 nothing but mytharc (alien crash site and Max Fennig), ep 11 technically mytharc (cloning experiments), ep 14 not mytharc after all but featured shapeshifting aliens (which might as well have been mytharc considering how things turned out), ep 17 is mytharc though not an ultimately very important one (E.B.E), ep 21 (Toomes) ended up having such a strong mytharc secondary plot (behind the return of Liver Boy -- Skinner is introduced, the CSM has his first spoken line, and the conspiracy decides it's time to shut the XF down) that it segues directly into the season finale as though the next two eps don't even exist (which they probably didn't -- they can be totally ignored or put earlier than Toomes, so it was almost surely some kind of scheduling fluff). Ep 24 is the Erlenmyer Flask and that's the season ender.

I might be forgetting some minor mytharc connections in other eps that season (e.g. the Jersey Devil?) and I'm overlooking at least one aborted attempt, "Space", (because it's also a dreadful ep), but that's 9 out of 24 eps the first season which either were mytharc (directly or indirectly) or might as well have been (Genderbender).

On the other hand, that's only 9 / 24 eps, with lots of monsters of the week (some of which are critical eps in their own right for quality or relevance to M&S personally) -- still 38%, but I don't recall them ever going higher than that afterward. Naturally the mytharc eps got a lot of marketing, of course; and it naturally became clear that the other things were basically the day job compared to the world-threatening main plotline, which made the MOW eps feel less important by comparison.

JasonPratt

(This all reminds me that I never even once got around to watching Fringe, which is on my list of things to do since I've heard nothing but good things about it and it ended cleanly.)

Also -- poking around this morning I see that Season 10 was more-or-less officially released in comic form (from IDW), rather like subsequent Buffy and Angel seasons, and apparently dealt with remaining mytharc residue; and that the mini-season this year will be mostly or entirely monsters of the week.

So rejoice.  O:-)

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on March 27, 2015, 06:08:10 PM
I know I'm in the geek minority here but I honestly never got Firefly. Roddenberry pitched Star Trek as a 'western' in space. Firefly was LITERALLY (trains, Confederates and all) a western IN space.  ::)

That's how many people classified the original Star Wars trilogy.  And look how much cash that pooped out.  ;)

Not a bad thing at all.

Tpek

^I'm told by original Battlestar Galactica fans that it was pretty much this as well.

Though honestly, I'm not a Firefly fan.
I think Whedon scored with the Buffy show, but other than that he's quite overrated.