Field of Glory: Empires

Started by -budd-, November 20, 2018, 10:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CptHowdy

on my third start as the gothones. expanded to fast in first two tries and the aging tokens killed me. third try is much better as i have limited my military operations to taking one province about every 10 years. got enough tokens to advance to glorious tribal horde but they seemed to come slower than those aging tokens even though it says the chances are the same. i have pushed up to the baltic and have a cooperation agreement with the saxones. good stuff so far!

Gusington

I have yet to perpetrate any diplomacy at all as Pontus...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Wolfe1759

Quote from: glen55 on July 13, 2019, 01:39:30 PM
Quote from: jomni on July 12, 2019, 08:52:27 PM
It's amazing how the Slitherine Archon engine can do both grand strategy and turn-based miniatures / squad-level games. This is an engine that evolved around Battle Academy. Can it do RTS too?
Slitherine did that as early as 2003 with Chariots of War. Not even sure that was the first. Of course the tactical mini-game in CoW was crude compared to FOG2, but
OTOH it only took about a minute for a battle, which obviously didn't encompass grog-type realism, but OTOH very short battles work great with a huge strategy game in the TW/FOG genre, which is what it was, and there was even a little bit of tactics and unit differentiation involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chariots_of_War
http://www.slitherine.com/products/341/details/Chariots.of.War

I had a great time with Chariots of War. Unfortunately it only runs now on XP.

They did it even earlier with Legion / Legion Gold, then there was Chariots of War, then Spartan / Gates of Troy all using the same engine. They also had the tactical equivalent to FOG with Legion Arena which was a 3D version of the combat engine allowing for a bit more commander ordering of the troops after the battle had started.

I always thought Legion expanded to the whole of the Roman world with the Legion Arena combat engine would be the "perfect" game, I usually hate the idea of player controlled tactical game within a strategic game (e.g. Total War) as they tend to be more of a "cheat" in effect but Legion / Legion Arena's restrictions in tactical control actually alleviated this and were also probably more representative of ancients command and control. Then again the most celebrated of ancient battles (e.g. Cannae, Alesia, Pharsalus amongst many others) hinged on the unexpected approach or command brilliance which the strategic level can't really account for so does that make the lack of tactical battles more "realistic", I don't know but until an AI can innovate to this level in a game then probably not. When an AI can then we may have a lot more problems on our hands than just playing a game  :)

P.S. I have Legion Gold, Chariots of War, Spartan, Gates of Troy and Legion Arena all running fine on Windows 10 - all have fully patched 2016, 2017 or 2018 downloads available on the Matrix site within the Members Club (available for both the Matrix and Slitherine versions).
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

JasonPratt

Worth noting that while Legion Arena has the fantasy expansion, they essentially remade that game with the History Channel as Great Battles of Rome and then turned the engine into more of a proper real-time pause-able tactical game (with the History Channel again) as Great Battles Medieval. Which I think was also their first successful mobile port. Neither of those have a strategic engine, just a series of battles which, iirc for GBM, can be played in a somewhat non-linear order across a map. But if you lose it doesn't matter, you can just retry the fight again with some extra cash to make changes in your force composition with.

They sort of remade the Spart/Got strategy engine, too, tying in with History Channel's "Engineering an Empire", except set in Egypt. I recall getting that for my Playstation Portable! -- but the screen was too cramped and I got sick playing it. I don't recall it having any tactical combat, but I'm also not sure I ever got far enough for fighting.

It's curious why the developer never tied the tactical engine back to the strategic engine again, although I'm sure that was the plan for Legion 2 (which never got made -- we were all surprised when Arena was released instead, and figured it was a way to test the new tactical engine... were there perhaps different developers for both engines and they split the sheets so to speak but both continued working for Matrixlitherine?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Anguille

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 14, 2019, 09:42:22 PM
Worth noting that while Legion Arena has the fantasy expansion, they essentially remade that game with the History Channel as Great Battles of Rome and then turned the engine into more of a proper real-time pause-able tactical game (with the History Channel again) as Great Battles Medieval. Which I think was also their first successful mobile port. Neither of those have a strategic engine, just a series of battles which, iirc for GBM, can be played in a somewhat non-linear order across a map. But if you lose it doesn't matter, you can just retry the fight again with some extra cash to make changes in your force composition with.

They sort of remade the Spart/Got strategy engine, too, tying in with History Channel's "Engineering an Empire", except set in Egypt. I recall getting that for my Playstation Portable! -- but the screen was too cramped and I got sick playing it. I don't recall it having any tactical combat, but I'm also not sure I ever got far enough for fighting.

It's curious why the developer never tied the tactical engine back to the strategic engine again, although I'm sure that was the plan for Legion 2 (which never got made -- we were all surprised when Arena was released instead, and figured it was a way to test the new tactical engine... were there perhaps different developers for both engines and they split the sheets so to speak but both continued working for Matrixlitherine?  ???
Legion Arena was meant to be the test before being integrated into Legion II. As far as i know, they didn't have the manpower to do Legion 2 even though they already put a lot of work in it. It's a game i really wanted to have. The battles had more options then what we have now in FoGE (without FoG II).  The battles were fast but interesting enough.

CJReich46

I have been getting my butt kicked several times as Rome.

I figured out the beginning phase of the campaign, and that was take down Senones, but the dang Etrusci declared war, so I'm grappling with them (they have a navy so I'm screwed there) and then Tarentum comes a knocking with the Samnites, and to make matters worse money issues and those decadence chips..OUCH.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

devoncop

Quote from: CJReich46 on July 15, 2019, 12:04:26 PM
I have been gDetting my butt kicked several times as Rome.

I figured out the beginning phase of the campaign, and that was take down Senones, but the dang Etrusci declared war, so I'm grappling with them (they have a navy so I'm screwed there) and then Tarentum comes a knocking with the Samnites, and to make matters worse money issues and those decadence chips..OUCH.

So APART from the Sennones, the Samnites, the Etrusci and the Neopolitan yokels from Tarentum all hating you.....how do you find the neighbours ?  :DD
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Gusington

I had an event occur where my government seized some merchant ships and turned them into the Pontic Navy...which quickly almost bankrupted me. Had to disband them...ships are pricey to maintain :/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

Well i sure got that one more turn feeling yesterday.

After getting stomped in that 15 turn nightmare scenario a couple of times, jumped into playing Rome........got handled pretty quickly.....twice. Of course i didn't really know WTH i was doing, still don't. so decided to play another civ. Sure, play Dacia, it's out of the way, safe start, time to learn some stuff. Messed up my first start so i'm on my second start with Dacia. Yea, it was pretty slow starting for about 20+ turns. I'm doing pretty well, got a couple of provinces built, top 15 in legacy, close to entering the top tier in the CDR....AAAA.. all is right in the world, this ain't so hard.........................Then those Muther Fu**kers from Getae DOW me and start big stacking me, right on through my provinces...assholes >:( .  So i'm trying to track those those assholes down, they take a province, i take it back, they keep moving  around.......OK, Ok, F, U, ...i'll just go take your capital...asshole. On the exact same turn we swap capital, and they have taken some of my objectives, so my provinces are no more and my capital is captured.

My legacy is still good but i plummet down the CDR....told you they were assholes.

Of course the Thracians [there assholes too] smell blood in the water and DOW on me. I was down to two regions, nothing left to do but turtle and pray. So i build up a big stack, put everything i have into units. I even spend 100 legacy twice for getting troops i can't afford. Money is gone, troops are deserting, so nothing left to do but take my big stack out to play......go out in a blaze of glory, put some pain on Getae [assholes]. I had payed for not taking a battle or two into FOG2, one i had almost twice the army power and lost[ probably terrain and my lack of diversity of troops] so i go into FOG2 to battle. The decisive difference was those troops i bought with my legacy had a bunch of cavalry which made the difference as it was fought on the plains.  I won the two decisive battles, and kept my casualties low so i'm still in the game....barely. I had been playing nice with Galatia, and they started pounding on the Thracians[assholes], but guess who's coming to dinner.... Macedonia....looks like there going to be assholes too :D

Turn 70- see how long i can hang in. Learned a bunch but want to hang in to see Getae take it in the neck....assholes ;D

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Sir Slash

While we're at it, Dalmatians are ass-holes too. Not the dogs I mean, they're cute. Because no matter  where they hide, they're easily.... spotted.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Don't forget the Illyrians.......what a bloody nuisance they are .

They do more raids than a Drugs Squad on performance related pay  :tickedoff:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

IICptMillerII

Quote from: CJReich46 on July 15, 2019, 12:04:26 PM
I have been getting my butt kicked several times as Rome.

I can very much relate to this. I somehow got lucky on my first playthrough and managed to defeat my neighbors in detail, but on subsequent playthroughs I kept getting wiped out. Shamefully, lowering the difficulty to easy does help with the rough start. You can always bump it back up once you get yourself properly established in Italy.

The manual says that the game is very moddable. I looked into it but it doesn't appear that the modding forum on Slitherine is active yet. I would love to see some scenarios that start just prior to the Punic Wars, where Rome is properly established and on the brink of war with Carthage. At the least it would be nice to have a scenario that starts with Rome in control of Italy.

-budd-

Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2019, 02:03:48 PM
-budd- is my spirit animal

Hope that doesn't come with any responsibilities ;)

They sure got a lot right with this game is my initial impression. Can't find anything to complain about the UI so far, works really well, and all the tool tips are great. As 4x aren't my favorite genre, and haven't really binged a 4x  since Civ 2, it took a bit to grab me but grab me it did [Getae....assholes]. The game just has ...hmmmm....flavor, seems to be the best word to describe it for me. What usually burns me out on these types of games is the mid to late game micro, hopefully the AI does the automation well, but really with the checks and balances i don't see one civ dominating the map so micro shouldn't be so bad. Still working on understanding controlling the decadence, and the resource part of the game. I'd for sure like to see them expand the diplomacy, with some more options. Having the option to try to finance unrest in a region you used to own or one you have your eye on, sabotaging trade, some kind of getting through a region on your way to somewhere else without fighting an army power 2 stack and having to take control of the region. Haven't tried it yet, can you pass through regions without fighting if your on friendly terms? Definitely more cooperation options. i also like a little more input into trade, just not sure what that would look like.

Well time for me to go back in and figure out how i can stick it to Gitae[assholes] and suck up to Macedonia.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

I think the kids call it FLAVA.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd