Armored Brigade - New DLC

Started by Boggit, February 25, 2021, 01:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

I can really recommend this game.  :bd:

In Armored Brigade the Cold War has turned hot, and Europe is once again torn apart by conflict.

With this expansion, two new nations, Czechoslovakia and Netherlands, are added to the cluster of armies of Armored Brigade.

Features:

- Two new factions: Czechoslovakia and the Netherlands

- More than 200 new units and aircraft

- A new map located in the Plzeň Region, Czechoslovakia

- A linear campaign inspired by the events of the Prague Spring

New DLC is due out on 25th February on Steam and the Matrix/Slitherine stores.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

al_infierno

Wasn't there a thread about this DLC already?  Either way I agree completely, this game rules!  It's like a mix of Combat Mission and Close Combat played on Google Maps.  The AI isn't awesome but it's decent at defending and I always have fun sparring against it, especially if you give them some rough terrain and cities or suburbs to defend.  Can't wait for the new DLC.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

-budd-

Fan of the game, looking forward to getting to this DLC sooner or later. Will be spending my time with the just released 1943 Russian/German unit mod. Look for it in the game forum or in the Steam workshop.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

Quote from: -budd- on February 25, 2021, 07:11:08 AM
Will be spending my time with the just released 1943 Russian/German unit mod. Look for it in the game forum or in the Steam workshop.

:o  :timeout:  What!?  Jeez, I need to pay more attention to the steam page.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

I always thought part of the attraction of the system was that it wasn't native to WWII...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2021, 09:21:23 AM
I always thought part of the attraction of the system was that it wasn't native to WWII...

But there are almost no WWII games out there  :)).

z1812

Fan of the game, looking forward to getting to this DLC sooner or later. Will be spending my time with the just released 1943 Russian/German unit mod. Look for it in the game forum or in the Steam workshop.

Hi Budd, I am just wondering how you find the WW2 mod plays. Do you feel the combat resolution has been reasonably adjusted to reflect the period weapons?

Rayfer

Quote from: z1812 on February 25, 2021, 09:36:25 AM

Hi Budd, I am just wondering how you find the WW2 mod plays. Do you feel the combat resolution has been reasonably adjusted to reflect the period weapons?

Great question....!   :notworthy:

MengJiao

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 25, 2021, 09:33:21 AM

But there are almost no WWII games out there  :)).

There aren't very many good WWII games out there.

Rayfer

Found this on the Steam Workshop site posted by the developer of the mod.
General changes/features:
- More of a focus on infantry combat than the base game. Most infantry can move slightly faster, and are slightly more fragile.
- More detailed infantry sprites.
- Infantry weapons are more varied. E.g, instead of bolt-action rifle, there is the Kar98k and Mosin, etc.
- Most heavy weapons, including crewed anti-tank guns, can now move (slowly!).
- Overall, weapon ranges have been somewhat changed, usually due to the timeframe of the mod.
- SMGs and MGs are generally more lethal.
- Formations are larger and often contain forced purchases for historical/balance reasons. This is an experimental change that I'm looking for feedback for,
especially regarding how well the AI uses them. E.g, Soviet rifle companies contain AT-rifle units and Fallschirmjaeger have light mortars in company formations.
- Tanks have worse vision, with HQ tank units having comparatively better vision.
- Radios are less common, especially for Soviet units. To compensate for the sake of the player, all order delays are slightly shorter.
- Motorised units are almost always mounted in trucks. Be cautious with them.
- And more...

Notes:
- When adding units, I focus on more common units (e.g T-34) than uncommon/rare ones (e.g Ostwind) but aim to have a good variety.
- Balance wise, there are almost certainly discrepencies that I haven't noticed, overpowered/underpowered units, etc. Let me know.
- I've done my best to research accurate penetration values and armour values, but there are likely to be some inaccuracies (there are even disagreements between source materials).

z1812

Quote from: Rayfer on February 25, 2021, 12:43:42 PM

Found this on the Steam Workshop site posted by the developer of the mod.
General changes/features:
- More of a focus on infantry combat than the base game. Most infantry can move slightly faster, and are slightly more fragile.
- More detailed infantry sprites.
- Infantry weapons are more varied. E.g, instead of bolt-action rifle, there is the Kar98k and Mosin, etc.
- Most heavy weapons, including crewed anti-tank guns, can now move (slowly!).
- Overall, weapon ranges have been somewhat changed, usually due to the timeframe of the mod.
- SMGs and MGs are generally more lethal.
- Formations are larger and often contain forced purchases for historical/balance reasons. This is an experimental change that I'm looking for feedback for,
especially regarding how well the AI uses them. E.g, Soviet rifle companies contain AT-rifle units and Fallschirmjaeger have light mortars in company formations.
- Tanks have worse vision, with HQ tank units having comparatively better vision.
- Radios are less common, especially for Soviet units. To compensate for the sake of the player, all order delays are slightly shorter.
- Motorised units are almost always mounted in trucks. Be cautious with them.
- And more...

Notes:
- When adding units, I focus on more common units (e.g T-34) than uncommon/rare ones (e.g Ostwind) but aim to have a good variety.
- Balance wise, there are almost certainly discrepencies that I haven't noticed, overpowered/underpowered units, etc. Let me know.
- I've done my best to research accurate penetration values and armour values, but there are likely to be some inaccuracies (there are even disagreements between source materials).

Thanks, that goes someway to answer my question. In addition I have read that you can have multiple databases with the choice to choose an era from the database drop down. So once you add the mod, as I understand it, you can swap from one database to another.

-budd-

Hoping to get some time this weekend to try it out. You can swap databases at will and use them on any of the maps. I opened it up to look at the models and some of the tank stats. I did check out the Stug models, the models look good. The ranges i glanced at looked reasonable but i really haven't dived in. Looking forward to going Germans vs Russians on the Ardennes map  :bd:
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

You say that like you we're not going to mod everything to be WWII anyways.  :buck2:

- MengJiao