Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: King Arthur: Legion IX
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 01:05:19 PM
This was released today...Gus?
Tabletop AARs / Re: Scorpion and Wyvern 1870
Last post by MengJiao - Today at 10:12:51 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on Today at 08:05:02 AMThis game looks very interesting.  Those ship stats in the first post give me some great ideas for use in my personal mods. 

The game is pretty basic, but the ship sheets and counters are pretty spiffy and for that matter Ironclad warfare
seems to have been more basic than say fighting under sail or with good armor, good guns and good engines and decent freeboard (after say 1885).
Computer Gaming / Re: What’s Happening in the Ga...
Last post by ArizonaTank - Today at 09:35:13 AM
While all of this seems gloomy, I think there is a counter-trend, also driven by technology. Game engines and development aids are getting easier and easier for the average person to use with only basic levels of training. AI is only making this more true. Add in the relatively open nature of distribution platforms like Steam, and the game market is being somewhat democratized.

For strategy and wargames, the sector we care about the most, the past couple of years has seen a small handful of great games, produced by single, or small team indie devs.

Sure this means you get the occasional junk game, or abandon-ware. But in strategy and wargames, the big studios have definitely been given a run for their money.

Still, it is a hard business for these indie devs, and based on extrapolated Steam sales figures, it does not seem that many of them make a living wage.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=27380.0

The main, pop-culture games (where the real money is) are a different story of course.
Last post by rss334 - Today at 08:51:14 AM
Here's my take broken down to simple form.  Bigger game studios are under pressure whether from shareholder or capital investors to turn a quick profit.  What starts out as a great studio ends up switching focus on great games to complete focus of turning a profit.  The managers are forced to meet unreasonable deadlines and deliver X product(s) per quarter to get the cash register ringing. 

As a result the quality of these games from the studios continues to decline.  Gamers are waking up to this, how many sequels now like Kerbal Space 2 and Skylines 2 have all negative ratings, these are not the only ones.  These studio begin to lose money and the first thing they do is cut more staff only adding to their problems. I'll take Paradox as an example, look at the content they are now pumping out almost monthly for EU4, CK3, Stellaris - I'm guessing they are losing money on everything else they are releasing.   I fully expect to them fold in the next year.

All because they lost focus on creating great games with good content and instead are chasing the dollar.

So the root of the problem is simply GREED.  Its no different than other industry, the companies get bigger and stop caring about their employees and customers, quality suffers, layoffs ensue .... all to make that might DOLLAR any way they can!
GrogHeads Feedback / Re: Grogheads AAR! Second Fron...
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 08:08:06 AM
Very nice write up Uberhaus!  This will make a good lunch time read while at work. 
Computer Gaming / Re: Kingmakers
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 08:06:04 AM
I wishlisted this a while ago.  Game looks fun.
Tabletop AARs / Re: Scorpion and Wyvern 1870
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 08:05:02 AM
This game looks very interesting.  Those ship stats in the first post give me some great ideas for use in my personal mods. 
Last post by W8taminute - Today at 08:03:12 AM
This is definitely disheartening news to hear.  No doubt companies are going to rely on AI to create video games, thus eliminating the need for human skills. 
Computer Gaming / Re: Field of Glory: Kingdoms d...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 05:37:43 AM
Quote from: AchillesLastStand on Yesterday at 11:30:11 PMGot an invite to test it a few months ago, notice it appears{?} the game is still in my Steam library. Would be cool if they gave testers a free copy but not counting on it.

Not sure if changed or dependent on the developer, but testing for Matrix/Slitherine, don't believe I ever got a free game after testing, although I think in most cases did get a decent discount.