What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Now 350 pages in. More meh. Will watch The Shining tomorrow to feel good about the story again.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Having settled some other reading list things, I am several days into Churchill's HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH SPEAKING PEOPLES, vol 1!

I'm up to the point where Henry III just died, and the Mother of Parliaments is about to be formed. Love it like pizza! (In fact I'm usually eating pizza when I read it.)

Using the Kindle edition to spare my physical copy from any wear.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

I'm in the middle of the Three Body Problem trilogy by Cixin Liu.  Has anyone here read it?  It's a pretty bizarre sci-fi about how the fates of two worlds are entwined.  I guess maybe because the author is Chinese, his characters keep pondering the political and ideological ramifications of everything that happens in the story which takes some getting used to, but overall it's been a pretty riveting read so far.  I'm excited to see how it ends.  It's one of those books where every now and again you're like um...did that actually just happen...flip back a page...yes, yes that really did happen, wow

Gusington

^Books like that are more rare than I would like them to be.

I am in the middle of The Devil Aspect by Craig Russell:

https://smile.amazon.com/Devil-Aspect-Novel-Craig-Russell/dp/0385544367/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1573919143&sr=8-1

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on November 16, 2019, 10:46:11 AM
I am in the middle of The Devil Aspect by Craig Russell

Hmm that sounds intriguing based on the blurb.  Let us know how it turns out.

Gusington

200 pages in so far - very, very good. Excellent writing and solid atmosphere. Reminds me a little of From Hell or The Alienist, two of my favorites evah.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Reading through some Osprey titles I have had for some time...Medieval Siege Warfare by Christopher Gravett and Richard and Christa Hook and The Battle of Tannenberg 1410 by Stephen Turnbull.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

I've just finished the second book in the Three Body Problem trilogy and I'm pleased to report that it just keeps getting better and better.  There have been one or two times where I thought the author was losing me, but I've since learned to trust him completely.  These books are absolutely knocking me off my feet, in a way that hasn't happened since I read Blindsight by Peter Watts.  They're absolutely thrilling!  The second I finished the book I bought the third and just carried right on reading. O0

Gusington

Now reading The Accursed Tower by Roger Crowley on the end of the Crusades - Mongols, Mamluks and the fall of Acre, 1291.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

This is just a heads up on a book that is coming.
Brent Nosworthy, who has done some very detailed books on battle tactics in Napoleonic and ACW wars, has a new book readying for publication.
It will cover the Musket and Pike era, and from his earlier works, should be a lot of fun.
Although the frontispeice indicates this year, he is resigned to it coming out in 2020.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Nice...I bet it will be pricey, though.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just started The Ottomans and the Mamluks: Imperial Diplomacy and Warfare in the Islamic World by Cihan Yuksel Muslu. A little dry and academic in spots while really interesting in other spots. More than half the book is notes.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Just started Medieval Warfare: A History, edited by Maurice Keen and written by ~12 different authors. It's basically a collection of essays/lectures. Also very academic but very interesting in spots.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

I'm re-reading "How the North Won" , "The Grand Design" and "Battlecry of Freedom" and trying to integrate some of their thoughts into my Civil War II AAR.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

Paulides released another book this year, focusing on Canada (about half new material); which came as a nice surprise, so I'm mainly on that, with continuations of Vol 2 of Churchill's History of the English Speaking Peoples ("The New World") on the side. Kindle says I'm about an hour out from finishing the latter, though that's probably wrong. ;) I'm in the reign of Charles II, after Cromwell; just had the Great Plague and the Fire of London in 1666.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!