IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

The problem with playing WW2 fighter sims online is people generally don't need, or bother, to climb to high altitude.   They don't want or need to waste the extra time & fuel climbing up there, and if their enemies are still far below them then they won't even be able to spot them. 

The dogfights usually end up happening down at lower altitudes for those reasons.  Which means all those fighters which do better at high speed and high altitude are at a disadvantage.  Sure, you can still technically boom & zoom, but it's less effective down at low altitudes with denser air limiting speeds and equipment on high-speed interceptor types, such as turbochargers, becoming useless dead weight.

I think this online altitude issue is the main reason I prefer doing multiplayer DCS to anything WW2/prop-based.  For one, having radar means you have the opportunity to spot your enemy even while at drastically different altitudes.  Secondly, drastic altitude changes are much faster, and even required when evading or diving to terrain mask against radar & missiles.  Alt is more of an extra strategic factor to be utilized rather than a limiting one.  ;)

Pete Dero

Hot Deals Sale https://il2sturmovik.com/

The discounts on the website run from May 15th - May 31st and on Steam from May 15th - May 29th.

Battle of Stalingrad - 66% Off (Website and Steam)

Battle of Moscow - 66% Off (Website and Steam)

Battle of Kuban – 33% Off (Website and Steam)

Blazing Steppe Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website and Steam)

Fortress on the Volga Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website and Steam)

Ten days of August Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website Only)

Havoc Over the Kuban Scripted Campaign – 50% Off (Website Only)

Cliffs of Dover BLITZ – 50% Off (Website Only)

Dammit Carl!

Welp.  (Dutifully opens Paypal)

...and now I'm in for BoS, BoM, and as I'm a Battle of Britain fan, CoD.

I'm so weak-willed.   :-[

WallysWorld

So IL2 Stalingrad, Moscow and Kuban are all on sale and especially Stalingrad and Moscow being at $17 USD.

I have IL2 1946, but have been looking at these for a while and with the sale I'm interested.

Any opinions on any of these games especially if you already have a fully modded IL2 1946? I only play single player.

Thanks!

IL2 website
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Took advantage of the sale and completed the entire set. 

Yeah, it's worth it. 

I am a huge 1946 fan and this is a serious upgrade.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Tuna

It's awesome WW, and there's some really good MP servers out there as well.

WallysWorld

Super thanks for the replies. I'll be getting Stalingrad and Moscow then.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Tuna

if you ever wanted to try mp, there's a few here who could join you.

Father Ted

Quote from: WallysWorld on May 31, 2019, 02:14:16 PM
Super thanks for the replies. I'll be getting Stalingrad and Moscow then.

Just be aware that these are completely separate titles from IL 46 and so you'll need to configure your controls (and everything else) from scratch. Be patient - it's worth it!

WallysWorld

Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying Cliffs of Dover Blitz, Stalingrad and Moscow. Just setting up my controls now. It's slow, but it will be worth it.

Tuna

Quote from: WallysWorld on May 31, 2019, 11:34:16 PM
Thanks for the tips. I ended up buying Cliffs of Dover Blitz, Stalingrad and Moscow. Just setting up my controls now. It's slow, but it will be worth it.

Cliffs of Dover Blitz is a totally different game. Plane Management is more realistic, but not sure if it runs as smooth as Il2 Box.

Jarhead0331

Yes. Cliffs of Dover Blitz is a facelift and conversion of a much older title that was originally plagued with bugs. It is based off of a popular fan-made mod that fixed a lot of the problems with the retail version. It's a good game, but not part of the battles series.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

CloD is heartbreaking in its lost potential.  That should have been the definitive WW2 flight sim.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

It's only heartbreaking if WWII flight sims would have died with it.  Fortunately the iL2 battle series, DCS, and even WOTR emerged since then, that I don't even care about clod...I forget it even happened.  The only worth while point in having it is for battle of Britain MP, which WOTR can't do.