Crusader Kings II Holy Fury Expansion

Started by DennisS, October 14, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Yeah yeah..I know. There must be ten thread on CK II.

I think that this one deserves a fresh look. According to RPS, this is one of the larger expansions, if not the largest in this series.

What makes this one special? RANDOM MAP GENERATION!!! WOOT!

This went from a cool, maybe I will buy to a make-sure-I-have-steam-money-november 13th.

Here's the skinny:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/12/crusader-kings-2-holy-fury-release-date/

JasonPratt

..wait...

Random map generation? Or random territory assignment to factions? Paradox has done the latter before. The former would be unprecedented, I think.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 15, 2018, 11:21:19 AM
..wait...

Random map generation? Or random territory assignment to factions? Paradox has done the latter before. The former would be unprecedented, I think.

They did some random map gen DLC for the new world in EU4 didn't they?

JasonPratt

Oh, right, it was included, sort of, in the first expansion: conquest of paradise. Back in January 2014.

The western hemisphere could be randomly generated from one of three archetypal continents, roughly based on real-life early mapping attempts. There wasn't much actual map randomization, but it gave a neat sense of discovery for players shipping westward to explore the New World.

(Also, checking up on it now, Steam reviewers have generally been very unkind to it. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

Some reason had the desire to play this again today....realized I was like 4-5 expansions behind:(  So had to catch up on those first and then will have to get this new one later.....Typically I am OK with DLC concept, but geesh once you get behind, it can be costly to get all caught up:(

Ian C

Quote from: DennisS on October 14, 2018, 10:11:17 PM

What makes this one special? RANDOM MAP GENERATION!!! WOOT!

It's a random map of nations within Europe, not new fictional land masses; but everything is new: religions, cultures etc.

What actually makes this one special is you can have nations of animals (Cats, Dragons, etc.)

Jarhead0331

Why would anyone want to play this with dogs and cats? What am I missing? And don't say a sense of humor or an imagination. I have both.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Ian C

Because it was foretold.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

HoodedHorseJoe

There's two different versions of the random map generator in Holy Fury:

* random landmass.

* Historical European landmass with random faction dynamics - so instead of HRE you get a randomised assortment of Kingdoms, Duchies etc... and you can fine tune how the randomiser works via settings.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Ian C

Quote from: WargamerJoe on November 19, 2018, 10:12:53 AM
There's two different versions of the random map generator in Holy Fury:

* random landmass.

* Historical European landmass with random faction dynamics - so instead of HRE you get a randomised assortment of Kingdoms, Duchies etc... and you can fine tune how the randomiser works via settings.

There is no random landmass generator. The store page description and other sources are completely misleading.

Quote:

QuoteShattered world is the same map with all holdings broken down so everyone starts as a count.

Random map is the same map (of europe, north africa, and western asia) but instead of the historical counties, duchies, kingdoms, and religions, it has a bunch of randomly generated ones. The actual map is the same, but who lives where and what religion they are (and what religions exist) is random.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/203770/discussions/0/3104564981108589679/

and the dev diary: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-98-catholicism-what-constantinople-where-charlemagne-who.1117036/

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2018, 06:26:24 AM
Why would anyone want to play this with dogs and cats? What am I missing? And don't say a sense of humor or an imagination. I have both.

Fookeen Furries are even worse than weebs!   :hide:

Release the Holy Furry expansion!   :2funny:

I did do a few hours of Ironman Mode in a Charlemagne era start as Lesser Poland.  Well on the way to becoming King Of Poland and then some.   \m/

CJReich46

I did a short game last night (769-799?) I think with the Random Generator.  Wistanland. (Mostly the Eastern coast of Britain)

No Kingdoms, mostly petty kingdoms, Not even an HRE or ERE. PAGANS APLENTY!
I don't have Sword of Islam, Horselords, Rajas of India and Jade Dragon so I had to set the Cultures to "Historical" that way I can actually keep some resemblance of Europe.

It's interesting. I was able to have some odd version of 769 where England was heavily tribal. France and most of Europe at one point was Feudal. So it offered a unique experience.  Just be prepared to re-roll a new world if you don't like what you get.  The religions are interesting when you use this but the dumbest thing is they end up becoming unpronounceable gibberish.  You can modify them too if you don't like them. Secret Societies are cool too.

Bloodlines are cool. Mine was basically a "Good to be king" type of guy. Wife died of cancer and due to problems after childbirth.  :'(  One baddass dude. Never backed down, never saw a courtesan he didn't chase either. He had a duel with a rival and it went poorly for him. He had three sons.  In my game London wasn't even a city, Mostly all of Britain (including Scotland, Wales) and even Ireland were all tribal.

but the three sons? Total assholes (exception was second one, he unfortunately died of wounds from a spear throwing contest. - call it a lawn dart injury)
First one - when he was King - managed to get the entire realm in the double whammy of rebellion and heresy, and he died of wounds sustained from battle, and he was not above executing prisoners. 

Third one? The Regency. He was a good one his mother watched him carefully and she with the council enforced the "Realm Peace" I ended it with his regency.   Not a bad ending. I just struggle with trying to figure out how to wage wars that I can win.  I have this faint hope of trying to get them to "like me" and accepting vassalage easily. But that's me.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

WYBaugh

Stupid question, do you need all previous DLC's before purchasing Fury or are they all standalone?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: WYBaugh on November 19, 2018, 06:43:46 PM
Stupid question, do you need all previous DLC's before purchasing Fury or are they all standalone?

stand alone...good guide here

https://www.strategygamer.com/articles/crusader-kings-2-dlc-buying-guide/