Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Carriers at War
« Last post by FarAway Sooner on Today at 12:01:57 PM »
Great stuff, Admiral!  I love what you're doing and love the way you're approaching it.  A few words of advice that you probably don't need:

1) I hope you guys are using a very Agile development approach here.  You've got A LOT in Scope, and too many good game designs have crashed and burned because they came up with a rigid feature list long before they got workable code.  That made it really hard to evaluate game play trade-offs versus developers' available time, which meant that integration at the end really suffered.  Especially if you have limited budget, investing too much money in polygon count before you have good, playable systems underneath is a common failing of a lot of great-sounding projects!

2) Particularly if you'll be featuring any land-based air units or scenarios, I'd strongly encourage you to make sure you've checked out Eric Bergerud's Fire in the Sky.  It's the best treatment I've seen of air-to-air combat in the Pacific from June-1942 to late 1943.  It also talks a lot about the evolution of doctrine and training.  I know, at its heart, this game is about carrier battles rather than airplane battles, but figuring out how air-to-air doctrine evolved is so important in understanding why certain match-ups turned out the way that they did.  Just as one example, the P-38 had much greater effective firepower in a head-on challenge than any other plane in the US fleet:  Japanese fighter pilots who didn't learn to avoid this sort of challenge quickly met a grim fate.  I don't think you have to build this sort of doctrine stuff into exactly what happens on the visual displays, but at the very least, I hope you're giving some thought on how to abstract this in the form of XP, etc.

3) I love that you're using manuals from the time to supplement your work-ups.  My dad was deemed medically unfit to serve when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, so he spent 1942-1945 as a technical writer for Douglas Aircraft, working in their SBD Dauntless factory in El Segundo, CA.  It's really cool to hear that some vestige of his work might find echoes in this game!   :)
Computer Wargaming / Re: The Groginati Sales Thread
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 11:27:23 AM »
Some serious potential savings there.
Computer Wargaming / Re: For those about to FRIDAY (We salute you)!
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 11:07:24 AM »
Tasty Sir Slash stew.
I don't know if I can read the Caine Mutiny without projecting Humphrey Bogart onto Queeg in my mind (that was the CO's name, right?)!   ;)

All this talk...I might have to stick with War and Remembrance and see if I can finish it now.

Yep, Captain Queeg. And yep, Bogie totally owned that part. He played so many great characters in his films and Captain Queeg should certainly be on any list of Great Bogart Roles.
Hey guys, Kushan from KushanGaming had Bart and me on Twitch last night talking H-Hour, both the book and scenario: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/427086718
Computer Wargaming / Re: For those about to FRIDAY (We salute you)!
« Last post by Sir Slash on Today at 08:53:11 AM »
"Except here"!? What's THAT supposed to mean?  >:(  My wife's second job is cooking for the whole state of Florida sometimes I think. The woman, God bless her overly large heart, can cook for an entire army battalion and does at times. Leaving me to clean-up all the left-overs. She even can cook an entire meal while she's cooking an entire meal.  :o And keep track of what's for who. I stay out of the way lest I end up in a stew pot on the stove.  :hide:
Beer & Pretzels / Re: Retirement Party Whole Roast Pig
« Last post by Barthheart on Today at 08:33:00 AM »
Yer a lucky man Airboy! :notworthy:
I'm down to 6 yrs left.... or tomorrow if I win the lotto!
Beer & Pretzels / Re: Retirement Party Whole Roast Pig
« Last post by Gusington on Today at 08:15:56 AM »
Well done Airboy. ~18 years to go for me if I am less fortunate, ~15 years if I am more fortunate. Fingers crossed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10