Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: 40k Custodes - Who here ha...
Last post by undercovergeek - Today at 04:57:53 PM
Nobody I've read, spoken to or experienced has ever said women are not welcome in the hobby - I'm unsure whether facts are deliberately been distorted - the whole furore and storm in a teacup has nothing to do with women playing games or girls playing space marines - it's about a movement supposedly representing women who insist that exclusively male toys and fiction are made to include females

And then we're right back to female James Bond

Female Jesus

Female 'name your male dominated subject in history'

I'm in a very privileged place - I don't fucking care - but I understand why people are getting upset

Why isn't the dictator in your game a woman?

Why is the player assumed to be a man with a wife?

Because that's what you wrote based on your preferences
Last post by al_infierno - Today at 04:42:02 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 04:19:22 PMReally?

Tell me what's wrong with people choosing anything they choose to enjoy that doesn't include any minority or under represented group. Can they not? Should they not?

They didn't choose a game that wasn't specifically diverse - they chose a game that represented their interests up to and including 40 years ago when no one even cared or knew what diversity and woke meant and maybe up to a year ago still didn't but now enough people are willing to try and cancel you for not things must change

There are people of all colours and genders in warhammer - I think maybe what people like you and others don't understand is it is a game that primarily harkens back to or even begins when you're a child when no one gives a shit about diversity and inclusivity and it's just a game - a game now been used by adults to push their agendas

I was maybe being overly harsh, but my point is the whole "chose a game that's not diverse, got mad at added diversity" argument doesn't hold water for me.  It sounds a lot to me like your typical "women and queers invading our spaces" type of dog whistle.

Quotegame that primarily harkens back to or even begins when you're a child when no one gives a shit about diversity and inclusivity and it's just a game

See, this is getting down to the disconnect here.  For marginalized people like women, there's no "good old days where inclusivity wasn't a thing."  Marginalized people recognize that they've been excluded from a very young age. Between "nerd" hobbies being overwhelmingly male dominated in the first place, and a toxic subset of 40K fans who are way too enthusiastic about the Imperium and exterminatus and what have you, it's no surprise that the fandom can be perceived as unwelcoming to those who don't conform to your typical "nerd" archetype.

Somehow, attempts to make the media itself more inclusive are construed as some kind of "agenda" because they dare pose uncomfortable questions about bigotry and inclusivity in a space meant for fun and entertainment.  It's easy for me or you to shrug it off and say "it's just a game" when we've never personally faced bigotry in this space for being the "wrong" type of person.

I just don't see what coherent "agenda" is being pushed here except... women should be included in stuff?  Is that really such a horrible "agenda" to push for?
Computer Gaming / Re: Sins Of a Solar Empire 2
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 04:27:04 PM
Past thread on it, some posts near the end where some folks had impressions so might be worth checking out.

https://www.grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=26554.msg716745#msg716745
Computer Gaming / Re: Campaign Series Vietnam
Last post by Jason Petho - Today at 04:23:42 PM
Thank you for heads up! That's a great book on the battles!
Last post by undercovergeek - Today at 04:19:22 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on Today at 03:47:44 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 03:36:02 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on Today at 12:07:46 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 03:15:59 AMI think to a certain degree it has nothing to do with female space marines and more to do with meeting up with your friends at a club or a garage and getting away from all the shit that compulsory diversity and woke-ism brings in an average working day and all the other crap that comes with real life because you've come to play soldiers to get away from all that and here in the microcosm of 40k it didn't exist and it was you and your army and your friends and now it's invading that bit of peace and quiet you had from the world

Don't get me wrong - I'm neither for or against - you do you over there and I'll do me over here

Like the vegans of this world - you can do that and I'll eat meat but don't be a dick and stand outside my restaurant calling me a flesh eating murderer

As I get older I realise the best most peaceful form of inclusivity is not to include any fucker at all

What doesn't make sense about this is why diversity and inclusion is this self-evidently abhorrent thing that must be "kept out" of a gaming space. Is play time really ruined because GW decided one faction is slightly more diverse?  Or if the shoe was on the other foot, would anyone be here crying the blues because a faction became less diverse? I doubt it.

At what point does the topic of diversity go from "it's OK to accept women and queer people in our hobby" to "oh my god, this is FORCED WOKE ISM and play time is ruined!"  Because to me it seems entirely arbitrary.

People are still entitled to make a choice - play games that include diversity, play games that don't

But the people that chose to play a game that didn't which is well within their right have now had the rules changed, lore changed and game changed to make sure the game without diversity they chose is now been made to include it because some people think they shouldn't get to a play a game that doesn't include it

"I specifically chose this game because it's not diverse, and the wokies ruined it by adding women" is a VERY bizarre way to frame your position on this issue.  It's pretty much just dancing around the explicit argument that Warhammer SHOULD only be men (or straight or white or what have you) and any deviation from that is "against lore."

Like, if that's your take on the whole thing fair enough I guess, but you understand how that's not exactly beating the "sexist neckbeard" allegations, right? 

Really?

Tell me what's wrong with people choosing anything they choose to enjoy that doesn't include any minority or under represented group. Can they not? Should they not?

They didn't choose a game that wasn't specifically diverse - they chose a game that represented their interests up to and including 40 years ago when no one even cared or knew what diversity and woke meant and maybe up to a year ago still didn't but now enough people are willing to try and cancel you for not things must change

There are people of all colours and genders in warhammer - I think maybe what people like you and others don't understand is it is a game that primarily harkens back to or even begins when you're a child when no one gives a shit about diversity and inclusivity and it's just a game - a game now been used by adults to push their agendas
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: Thermonator
Last post by Silent Disapproval Robot - Today at 04:14:01 PM
I'm going to make robotic ground squirrels with fire extinguishers and Zimmerit armour.
*throws another brick st Gus*
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 04:06:16 PM
There are clearly two perspectives here and I think its come to the part where guys on both sides are going to start talking past one another, so we're probably past the point of crossing over into RP territory.

That being said, if you guys want to continue the discussion and can continue to do so civilly, I'm willing to let the thread remain open. That means not suggesting that people who are against the change, regardless of their stated rationale, are "sexist neckbeards".
Last post by al_infierno - Today at 03:47:44 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 03:36:02 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on Today at 03:15:59 AMI think to a certain degree it has nothing to do with female space marines and more to do with meeting up with your friends at a club or a garage and getting away from all the shit that compulsory diversity and woke-ism brings in an average working day and all the other crap that comes with real life because you've come to play soldiers to get away from all that and here in the microcosm of 40k it didn't exist and it was you and your army and your friends and now it's invading that bit of peace and quiet you had from the world

Don't get me wrong - I'm neither for or against - you do you over there and I'll do me over here

Like the vegans of this world - you can do that and I'll eat meat but don't be a dick and stand outside my restaurant calling me a flesh eating murderer

As I get older I realise the best most peaceful form of inclusivity is not to include any fucker at all

What doesn't make sense about this is why diversity and inclusion is this self-evidently abhorrent thing that must be "kept out" of a gaming space. Is play time really ruined because GW decided one faction is slightly more diverse?  Or if the shoe was on the other foot, would anyone be here crying the blues because a faction became less diverse? I doubt it.

At what point does the topic of diversity go from "it's OK to accept women and queer people in our hobby" to "oh my god, this is FORCED WOKE ISM and play time is ruined!"  Because to me it seems entirely arbitrary.

People are still entitled to make a choice - play games that include diversity, play games that don't

But the people that chose to play a game that didn't which is well within their right have now had the rules changed, lore changed and game changed to make sure the game without diversity they chose is now been made to include it because some people think they shouldn't get to a play a game that doesn't include it

"I specifically chose this game because it's not diverse, and the wokies ruined it by adding women" is a VERY bizarre way to frame your position on this issue.  It's pretty much just dancing around the explicit argument that Warhammer SHOULD only be men (or straight or white or what have you) and any deviation from that is "against lore."

Like, if that's your take on the whole thing fair enough I guess, but you understand how that's not exactly beating the "sexist neckbeard" allegations, right? 
Last post by undercovergeek - Today at 03:36:02 PM