Sacred War: Crocus Field: 352 BC

Started by MengJiao, June 17, 2019, 03:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Phillip II of Macedon brought his army down into Thessaly to defeat the Phocians who had plundered the Shrine of Apollo at Delphi.  This was tricker than it sounds since the hard-plundering Phocian commander, Onomarchus had already defeated the Macedonians twice and this time he had help from Argos and Athens.  Historically, Phillip won, though (given the massive casualties) not by much.  Had Onomarchus bought more mercenaries and deployed his catapults as he had done before and had the Athenians gotten through to help, things might have gone differently.  Let's see:

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 17, 2019, 03:22:08 PM

Fifteen minutes into the battle...this is the center.  Both sides are still being pretty cautious (When played this the first time, I moved too quickly into the slugging match and the Macedonians went down fast):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 17, 2019, 06:11:46 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on June 17, 2019, 03:22:08 PM

Fifteen minutes into the battle...this is the center.  Both sides are still being pretty cautious (When played this the first time, I moved too quickly into the slugging match and the Macedonians went down fast):

And a little bit later (halfway through turn 2 or maybe 25 minutes into the fighting) -- Mercenaries kill Antipater!  He had such a bright future before him.  Luckily it wasn't Phillip -- the center looked like a bad spot so I moved Antipater in and got Phillip out of there.  And then -- BOOM -- sneaky Mercenaries flanked his Phalanx (the one the two Mercenary hoplite formations just ahead of the moved marker have inflicted 6 hits on...actually more than 6, but with two-hex formation recovery rules from Hoplite, the Phalanx didn't collapse):

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on June 18, 2019, 09:42:54 AM

And a little bit later (halfway through turn 2 or maybe 25 minutes into the fighting) -- Mercenaries kill Antipater!  He had such a bright future before him.  Luckily it wasn't Phillip -- the center looked like a bad spot so I moved Antipater in and got Phillip out of there.  And then -- BOOM -- sneaky Mercenaries flanked his Phalanx (the one the two Mercenary hoplite formations just ahead of the moved marker have inflicted 6 hits on...actually more than 6, but with two-hex formation recovery rules from Hoplite, the Phalanx didn't collapse):
[/quote]

About 35 minutes into the battle, after some super-lucky rolls (Athenians  and then Athenians with momentum),  the Macedonians collapse.  This had happened to Phillip twice before and so we can assume he got away with most of his army to fight another day and/or get assassinated or something.