Main Menu

GameTalk -- ONE IMPORTANT THING

Started by Cyrano, June 30, 2015, 08:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Starting a stickied topic about the GameTalk issue of the week...

mod edit: just changed the icon for the thread :)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Cyrano

OK, in this case, I get to add one MORE important thing:

Edit your damn rules.  Read them, re-read them, re-re-read them, give them to somebody else who's facile with the language to read them, put them to the side, read them again, &c.

It really, really matters and bad editing and proofreading can ruin the experience of an otherwise potentially excellent rule system.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

hmmmmmm... I can only guess which rules you've been reading lately!  :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

+1 to Cyrano's comment.  Poorly written rules can almost kill one's desire to play a game.  I would also recommend "include multiple examples of play" in your rules.

For computer games, I would say game devs MUST include some kind of quick mission builder.  Although tutorial missions and scenario development tools are great, I still get lots of mileage from games that include this quick missions.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

bbmike

+1 Yes, I do find 'examples of play' to be extremely helpful.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak