Main Menu

GameTalk: Movement!

Started by bayonetbrant, March 23, 2015, 02:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Featured today, a question about movement types....

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

For strategy games, my ideal is point-to-point.  Second choice is hex-based (also my first choice for computer wargames and tabletop).  Tiles are generally my last choice, although I enjoy area-based movement in games like Risk and the first two Total War titles. 

However, when it comes to computer war/strategy games, my *real* answer is "whatever the AI can handle best".  Other concerns are secondary IMO. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863 from Avalanche uses regions, and the counters have to physically fit into the region in order for them to move into there. 

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

I've played that system and was not particularly keen on it, personally. Its what stopped me buying their 1866 game.

I much prefer hex maps, and to a lesser extent, area movement. I always feel too confined with point-to-point, but that's just me.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!