Main Menu

GameTalk - Lucky Dice

Started by bayonetbrant, March 02, 2015, 02:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

I have a set of dice of all sorts. These days I'm mainly rolling D6s or D10s.

I hate dice towers and prefer rolling in some kind of box, an empty game box for example.

My luck is very streaky these days. My least favorite gaming phrase is, "Just don't roll a one" which pretty much ensures I will roll a one  >:(

My gaming motto has become. "It's better to be lucky than good".  Frequently I am neither.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

btrain

C'mon man, that's magical thinking, we're supposed to be the products of the Enlightenment and scientific rationality here... modelling the world through experiment, and all that.
(Though if there weren't some kind of stupid optimism and faith in dumb luck in operation, the stock market wouldn't function, and then where would we be, huh?)

I have no lucky dice: if we have to anthropomorphize the little buggers, then they all hate me equally.
I usually just grin and bear it; but a friend of mine who rolled exactly the wrong number for the climatic battle of a match of the old SPI game "Seelowe" took the offending cube outside and smashed it into powder with a hammer....

Brian

mirth

Quote from: btrain on March 02, 2015, 02:38:33 PM
a friend of mine who rolled exactly the wrong number for the climatic battle of a match of the old SPI game "Seelowe" took the offending cube outside and smashed it into powder with a hammer....

Been there, done that. I have "lost" more dice than I currently own.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jamm

Quote from: mirth on March 02, 2015, 03:09:41 PM
Quote from: btrain on March 02, 2015, 02:38:33 PM
a friend of mine who rolled exactly the wrong number for the climatic battle of a match of the old SPI game "Seelowe" took the offending cube outside and smashed it into powder with a hammer....

Been there, done that. I have "lost" more dice than I currently own.

Sweet Idea  :)
I can toss offending dice against the wall with the best of them  :(
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

mirth

We should start a 12 step program -  Dice Throwers Anonymous

"Then I threw in my air to make it a 3 column shift for 7:1 odds and  I still got an A1r1 result. I've never been so angry in my entire life! That's when I started chucking dice..."

Jack Nastyface

Although I don't have lucky dice...I do admit to be fascinated by myriad of dice that are available.  Not only do I  still remember - back in 1978 or so -  the first time I saw the entire pantheon of dice required for D&D and Boothill, I still have some of them.  Most recently, I purchased a bag-o-10-sided-dice for my daughter's math class, so that she and her class mates could do addition, subtraction and multiplication by rolling pairs of dice in a game I call "math dice".  Works great...and EVERY kid who sees a 10 sided (or any non-traditional dice) is compelled to roll them over and over again.

Yours in gaming,
Jack Nastyface
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.