Main Menu

GameTalk - Terrain!

Started by bayonetbrant, January 19, 2015, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jack Nastyface

The urban environment has always been my favorite for gaming ground combat as IMHO it provides the toughest tactical situations.  In most other environments, there are some fairly simple things to do in order to increase your chance of success:  scout large areas, use artillery or air-cover, approach using bounding overwatch, take the high ground, etc.  Although these maxims have value in the urban environment, there are many ways to defeat them.  As  result, good generalship tends to look like a series of very small, carefully calculated moves.  As I guy who likes measures success by how one manages their infantry, urban terrain has always provided an interesting challenge.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Jamm

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on January 22, 2015, 04:57:25 PM
The urban environment has always been my favorite for gaming ground combat as IMHO it provides the toughest tactical situations.  In most other environments, there are some fairly simple things to do in order to increase your chance of success:  scout large areas, use artillery or air-cover, approach using bounding overwatch, take the high ground, etc.  Although these maxims have value in the urban environment, there are many ways to defeat them.  As  result, good generalship tends to look like a series of very small, carefully calculated moves.  As I guy who likes measures success by how one manages their infantry, urban terrain has always provided an interesting challenge.

Here's something in the pipeline for OST.  I can hardly wait 'til it's finished to try it out. :)
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Staggerwing

What do the blue triangles signify, why are the hex centers blue in the nearby buildings, and why don't the buildings across the streets have the same blue triangles and hex centers?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jamm

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 23, 2015, 10:16:22 PM
What do the blue triangles signify, why are the hex centers blue in the nearby buildings, and why don't the buildings across the streets have the same blue triangles and hex centers?

The triangles are elevation level, blue is level 2 ( 2 storey ).  Red is level 3.  Center hex dots just mirror the elevation colour.
The map is WIP, so all the deltas aren't in place yet.
Can't wait to get on the map with some flamethrowers and satchels   >:D
When the going gets weird
the weird turn pro

Staggerwing

Ah so. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys