Main Menu

GameTalk - We Can Be Heroes!

Started by bayonetbrant, October 06, 2014, 08:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Heroes on the battlefield - your thoughts?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I'm in agreement with Eric's response - it's both. The leadership that heroes lent to the battlefield is mirrored within a game through fantastic gameplay or abilities. Though I think this has happened to many of us, pulling out wins by the skin of our teeth, with 'regular' units too.

Cyrano

To me, hero games are all together different things than "straight" consims.

I stipulate to the desire to recreate circumstances like those involving this lunatic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_C._Summers  John Keegan's account in "Six Armies in Normandy" gives the lie to anyone who would have denied him the CMH.

But that, to me, is what RPGs and games like the nigh-legendary "Ambush" are for.  It almost comes down to statistical norms, i.e., while heroes happen, one can't reasonable expect them to occur with sufficient regularity to merit modeling them.

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806