Age of Wonders: Planetfall

Started by bbmike, May 19, 2018, 08:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FarAway Sooner

Could be cool.  I wonder what they think they'll have to bring to the table here?

Staggerwing

Most imprtantly- does it have Floyd the Robot?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Con

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 19, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
Most imprtantly- does it have Floyd the Robot?
HA thats my first thought as well

Boggit

So long as it is more than a sci-fi re skin of AOW3 this could be interesting. I want to see some original thinking in the game mechanics.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FarAway Sooner

Tpek

Arise ye dead thread, arise I say!

Game's got a Steam page now (no release date or pricing yet):

https://store.steampowered.com/app/718850/Age_of_Wonders_Planetfall/

FarAway Sooner

Actually, being stuck on a single planet in a post-apocalyptic setting seems a lot more interesting than the cliched "You all got here first, but then your ship broke apart and now factions have evolved and you've..."

As I said in my first thread, I'll wait to see what they bring that's new to the table.  But it sounds interesting!

Boggit

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on August 17, 2018, 04:48:11 PM
Actually, being stuck on a single planet in a post-apocalyptic setting seems a lot more interesting than the cliched "You all got here first, but then your ship broke apart and now factions have evolved and you've..."

As I said in my first thread, I'll wait to see what they bring that's new to the table.  But it sounds interesting!
For what it's worth I originally thought that of Rimworld, which has since been a major time sink for me as it's so tough and addictive. I used to play the spaceship survivors but have moved on to the Lost Tribe which is far more challenging as you start off with Neolithic technology and surviving to get better stuff is quite a challenge. Before my present game most of my tribe was dead within a couple of game years and luck (and some experience now) has improved my prospects to a less fragile colony.

But back to AOW: Planetfall, I'm totally with you on wait and see what's new. I am not expecting Space Orcs, Space Dwarves not Space Halflings - that's for sure! ;) :DD
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

^Agreed, although having played all the previous AoW games I have added this to my 'followed' list. One can but hope for something new and exciting :-))
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Grim.Reaper

Releasing tomorrow....I of course pre ordered since I am weak, even though I don't end up playing these games long:)  Seems like most reviews I have seen have given it good marks...we'll see.

al_infierno

Curious how the tactical battles play out compared to AOW3.  It's been years since I've played it but I'd hope sci fi tactical combat feels significantly different than medieval fantasy tactical combat...
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on August 05, 2019, 05:08:57 PM
Curious how the tactical battles play out compared to AOW3.  It's been years since I've played it but I'd hope sci fi tactical combat feels significantly different than medieval fantasy tactical combat...

Seems according to some reviews, appears to be a strength of the game....

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I've enjoyed all the games in the series, but found them to all be pretty derivative of the original (AOW:SM was the best, I think).  If the shift in trope doesn't bring any change at all in the underlying game play, you can probably color me underwhelmed.

BUT...  Triumph Studios does good work and has shown a real commitment to post-release support.  I'd love to hear first impressions from anybody who plays this one.  I'm up to my Eyeballs in Deity Empires right now.  Back to that AAR...