Hey Flight Simmers...

Started by Jarhead0331, March 30, 2017, 03:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Quote from: jomni on May 23, 2017, 11:56:25 PM
P3D finally going 64bit!
http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114164/

I may finally purchase.....  I have been XP only because of the 64bit issue with FSX/P3D.   I wonder how this will effect add-ons etc...

jomni

Quote from: PanzersEast on May 24, 2017, 08:06:03 AM
Quote from: jomni on May 23, 2017, 11:56:25 PM
P3D finally going 64bit!
http://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114164/

I may finally purchase.....  I haver been XP only because of the 64bit issue with FSX/P3D.   I wonder how this will effect add-ons etc...

Some types of add ons need to be specifically made for 64bit so it may not be compatible out of the box.  Devs may make a patch or you may have to repurchase a 64bit version. Or worse, they don't do anything.  I suggest we wait and see until your favorite add ons are ported.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Crazy Girl

This is how I feel...
P3D is not bad, it used to be Microsoft Flight Simulator, now maintained by Lockheed Martin; it's a big debate, but X-Plane is usually known to have more realistic aircraft models. I prefer X-Plane myself, as it also works on the Mac. Macs are better for everything.
Not sure if that helps. Sorry if it doesn't.

Yskonyn

A simple fact of simlife might be Addons.
While, as a real life airline pilot, I am very impressed with XP11, the quality of many addons leaves a lot to be desired still. It might be that the few high quality addons just don't feature the aircraft you're interested to fly, while the big legacy of MSFS gives plenty of choice of great quality addons.

Like FS, the out-of-the-box offering of aircraft in XP isn't very good from an avionics standpoint.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

glen55

FYI, the default planes you get with the game are the Schleicher ASK 21 glider, Beechcraft Baron 58 twin pistons, Boeing 747-400 jumbojet, Cirrus Vision SF50 single-engine light jet, Beechcraft King Air C90 twin turboprop, Cessna 172SP single-engine fixed-wing fixed-gear, Boeing 737-800 airliner,  McDonnell Douglas MD-80 airliner, and the Sikorsky S-76 helicopter.

Links to screenies of each plane are at http://www.x-plane.com/2016/11/x-plane-11s-default-aircraft/
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

vyshka

Anyone taken a look at Flight Sim World yet? I wonder how it will compare to v4 of Prepare3D. Definitely a better price.

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 24, 2017, 10:54:33 AM
Why get P3D over XP11?

Only for those nostalgic about FSX.  I'm ok with XP11.

jomni

Quote from: vyshka on May 24, 2017, 04:30:54 PM
Anyone taken a look at Flight Sim World yet? I wonder how it will compare to v4 of Prepare3D. Definitely a better price.

It's from Dovetail.  The Train Sim guys.  And they have a bad rep in the community.

Staggerwing

Why get P3D over XP11?

I'm guessing it's because a lot of the 'leventy-billion FSX add-ons work with it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

jomni

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2017, 05:59:50 PM
Why get P3D over XP11?

I'm guessing it's because a lot of the 'leventy-billion FSX add-ons work with it.

As mentioned before, if we're talking about 64bit... we must wait and see.  It invalidates the argument about having a treasure trove of previous add-ons.  Compatibility is not guaranteed.
XP has been 64bit since XP10 so it technically has more 64bit add-ons.

Yskonyn

The general amount doesn't have to be relevant at all. The amount of quality addons would be more relevant. Also, the amount of addons about stuff you actually want to fly matters as well.
A number of records in a database just showing its a large database doesn't mean much without context. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Why get P3D over XP11?

I am not sure it would convert me from XP11 (I've now upgraded to Ortho4XP), but with PMDG and A2A still being on that side and with all the add-ons I have, it is at least enough for me to possibly run both.  XP11 just works out of the box, no OOM errors, pooping scenery, endless tweaking etc...

I'm like Jomni, it is a wait and see.... probably because most add-ons are going to require a upgrade or repurchase.  For now, I am still more than happy to keep flying the skies of XP11.

PE

jomni

Skoop

I'll probaly get it, I'll fly it right along with XP11, DCS, and IL2 BOS.  The PMDG 777 alone is enough for me to get it once it's compatible. Plus I can dust off some cool addons like FirefighterX.